4/3/10

Melanie - alternative Unchained Melanie EP (1996)



When I feel like a shit that even flies have better to do than to come to visit (as tonight), Melanie's always here to peace my sick and putrefied mind. So here we go again. This collection of songs could have been entitled "Acoustic covers of sad love songs" since it's quite monothematic: absence, separation, unhappy love, sentimental dereliction and that half of the record consists in non Melanie's songs (one from Cat Stevens, one from Sting, one from John Waite and one that was covered by hundred of people most notably by the Righteous Brothers). Recorded at her home in Connecticut probably in 1996, with her children (her two daughters on backing vocals and her gifted son on guitar), these are the only 8 songs from the limited available Unchained Melanie LP, sold only to her shows and filled with 5 songs from Silver Anniversary recorded 3 years before and that you can find here, and one song from Silence Is King (3 years before too) that I'll post maybe one day. I think useless to include songs from other albums in new albums and that's what unfortunately Melanie has done during most of the nineties. So I will only put the unreleased ones on the posts. In this collection, some songs are her owns, and they are the best since nobody's a better songwriter than she is (this is my blog, I write what I want, even if you think I'm a sucker). Among them, some will appear on other further albums in various versions, often less acoustic, but I don't think the beautiful "I Never Had A Clue" is on another record (even a lo-fi compilation) than this one. If you want to know more about it click here, you'll know everything. I decided to cut the album in 2 different sides, the first with covers from others, and the second with Melanie's own songs. Do the flies for me and enjoy here.



For the streaming song, I chose again "Prematurely Grey", in the (for me) the best version ever. Difficult to retain tears in hearing such a moving harmony between a melody, a voice and a text. Not much to add. Someone said to me recently she was not so enthusiast than I am on Melanie. That's sad for her. She misses something.

Prematurely Grey. Too quick to smile And too easy to cry The first to say hello And the last to say goodbye A sucker for adventure A fool for the truth And I'm prematurely grey Absolutely blue Yes I'm prematurely grey Absolutely blue Too late to come And the last to go The first one to believe And the last to know A sucker for religion And all that is true And I'm prematurely grey Absolutely blue Yes I'm prematurely grey Absolutely blue A sucker for adventure A fool for the truth And I'm prematurely grey Absolutely blue Yes I'm prematurely grey Absolutely blue Yes I'm prematurely grey Absolutely blue.

tilidom.com



No video, so here some pictures (don't know who took them, sorry for not crediting, don't ask for the deletion of this blog for that please I beg you on my knees) that give a different image of Melanie. That's what I need to see on this shitty night.

No comments: