10/22/13

Jethro Tull - Life Is A Long Song EP (1971)


A visitor informed me the link was dead. An opportunity to put the Tull back on the top. An eternity I hadn't listened to it and the effect is always the same: thrills and pleasure. At least this period of the band. The first side of the single was totally acoustic and could have been issued yesterday. This music has no age. It'll be listened again with the same pleasure in... eternity actually. Not impossible that some humans will chose to assist to the apocalypse listening to old Tull stuff. The irony of Ian Anderson voice's tone would not be the worst way to die. The new link is at the end of the post I had written initially (more than 2 years ago, god time is passing it's hellish).

Jethro Tull is a band I've madly loved when I was a kid between 1971 and 1974, but then I rather gave up due to a musical evolution not fitting mine (except for the splendid Minstrel in the Gallery LP in 1975). But I've always considered Ian Anderson as a kind of genius, just a little less deified than Zappa, and much more my taste actually. I know there are not many forgotten Tull's songs but there are some EPs, singles' B-sides and radio sets, not forgetting good quality concerts, that deserve to be considered so. Here is a strangely forgotten EP, released between Aqualung (in March 1971) and Thick As A Brick (in March 1972). Featuring 5 unissued songs, it will do quite well in the charts in September 1971, reaching n°11, but I feel that many omit it when they think about the Tull's discography. It's a transitional record, quite acoustic, without the raw and hard sound and atmosphere of Aqualung but not yet completely in the progressive genre as will be Thick As A Brick (under the clear influence of Gentle Giant actually, and they will open for the Tull some months later). Although most pictures of the band dated 1971 feature Clive Bunker, he was gone after the Aqualung sessions and that year Barrie Barlow was the new member on drums (an old friend of Ian Anderson, a thing that will often do Anderson, even if his friend is not a good musician, but there he was). But I talk too much. Enjoy this EP here (reup). In streaming I put "Up The Pool", my fave of the lot, and I post a video from a promo clip done in 1971 of the title track.


Up the pool. I'm going up the `pool from down the smoke below to taste my mum's jam sarnies and see our Aunty Flo. The candyfloss salesman watches ladies in the sand down for a freaky weekend in the hope that they'll be meeting Mister Universe. The iron tower smiles down upon the silver sea and along the golden mile they'll be swigging mugs of tea. The politicians there who've come to take the air while posing for the daily press will look around and blame the mess on Edward Bear. There'll be bucket, spades and bingo, cockles, mussels, rainy days, seaweed and sand castles, icy waves. Deck chairs, rubber dinghies, old vests, braces dangling down, sun-tanned stranded starfish in a daze. We're going up the `pool from down the smoke below to taste my mum's jam sarnies and see our Aunty Flo. The candy floss salesman watches ladies in the sand down for a freaky weekend in the hope that they'll be meeting Mister Universe. There'll be buckets, spades and bingo, cockles, mussels, rainy days, seaweed and sand castles, icy waves, Deck chairs, rubber dinghies, old vests, braces dangling down, sun-tanned stranded starfish in a daze. Oh Blackpool, oh Blackpool.


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Would you please be able to repost this have downloaded some Barry Ryan so thanks for that.

Deutros from Australia.

dkelvin said...

Re-up done
dk

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for your quick response I had tried to leave a longer comment a few times but IE wouldn't let me post and firefox wouldn't let me use my google account so I had to post anonymously . Basically what I had to say was I was much the same as you and had stopped listening to Tull by the time Passion Play came out but had loved everything up until that stage.Got to see them here in Australia on the Thick As A Brick tour.

francis said...

Hi

I've just found this. Will you please reup it as I bought this in '71 but ruined it by accidentally using a 78 needle! I would be so grateful to hear up the pool again.

Thanx

Francis

dkelvin said...

Done
Tell me if it works (take quite a long time to dl but I can't do anything about this)
dk

Private Beach said...

For those who want to buy this EP, all the tracks are included on the "Living in the Past" compilation album - but it's nice to see the original cover art again - thanks. "Up the Pool" is of course a reference to Blackpool, Ian Anderson's home town. I saw him in concert a few weeks ago and he';s still good.

francis said...

Than you so much it has extracted ok on the third d/l. I will listen on MP3 player tomorrow will let you know if a problem. D/l time was not excessive.

Thanks again

Francis