12/31/12

Best of 2012 - Songs, EPs and LPs not to be forgotten






















Here's a compilation of songs and no-songs (call them tracks) that made my year (wrapped in a self-made cover sleeve with pictures by Claudia Böhm). With various styles, less sludgy doom than previous years I must admit. Maybe I'm getting old and soft (jelly some would say). This is the reason I splitted this compilation in 2, in order to be more easy to listen to it. Of course Brian Wilson, Kim Fowley and Dr John are old glories and no more at their creative peak, but the fact is they have made each some of the songs I loved the most this year. And for a new generation you got Emily Wells and JFG, 2 of the greatest composers of the last years so far. Doom Tree is a complete hip hop coup-de-coeur (long time I did not have in this genre) and Grass Is Green my noisy coup-de-foudre, one of the greatest album I listened to this year and this song is marvellous (but I could have picked 2 or 3 others in this masterpiece). The tracks are 5 of the most devastating (for Black Skies, Rabbits and Witchstone) or powerful (for Rotting Hills and Sonance) of the year. You can find all these bands on Forgotten Songs (until July, when mf shelved my account) or Dim Damn Doom. Below, the list of my 10 fave albums of the year. Some of course have songs in the compilation but not all. Yes I know you may think I give too much credit to the young Emily Wells. But her album totally blowed me away and was the soundtrack of several important moments during my year. Her music talks to me the way the Unthanks' one talked to me last year. Grass Is Green,  Rabbits, Bezoar, Uzala, Huata, Single Mothers and Black Skies have given to this year its "lettres de noblesse", and they were not many to create something new and exciting. When I look at the other Best of lists from other blogs, I sometimes wonder if really they are in search of some evolution in music. But nevermind, maybe I'm too old, too weird, old and stupid. Hope the 13th year of the XXIst century will offer some greatness too. Enjoy it here.

































My best albums of the year (preference order, from 1 to 10)

Emily Wells - Mama



Grass Is Green - Ronson



Black Skies - On The Wings Of Time



Rabbits - Bites Rites



Dr John - Locked Down


Single Mothers - Indian Pussy


Doom Tree - No Kings


Bezoar - Wyt Deth



Uzala - Uzala


Huata - Atavist of Mann

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting and well compiled - thank you - many names i do not know...

Hope the year ahead holds much worthwhile for you too.

M