12/22/16

JFG - The dk's Choice (2004-2009)



This is the first thing I posted about JFG on this blog. And a visitor asked me today to re-up it. Thanx to him. I do it with pleasure although I do not like the idea to put my name on it but for once, it's not too heavy. I'll post a "Greatest Highs" soon with several unissued tracks so stay vigilant if you became fans of this unclassifiable guy (I try my best below). These are songs where he does most of the job alone.  The result is thrilling. Perfect for these boring Xmas festivities. Catch it here. Note that some of the songs have been covered again by JFG on further albums or singles. Don't forget to go on his bandcamp page (here) and to buy all the material I didn't post. Everything's is at least good, often great. 

Imagine you receive a CD-R from someone who liked what you wrote in a music mag (always Xroads since I do not write anywhere else) and, after only a few minutes listening, you know that you have here one of the best singer and songwriter living on this planet, someone that will take place next to John Lennon psychedelic-era, Syd Barrett Pink Floyd-era, Lou Reed Velvet and Transformer-eras, Jonathan Richman and Robyn Hytchcock (all eras) and some other ones, but in no way smelling like plagiarism. And what is the most incredible (and scandalous) is that this young man has no label, no record released although he's still composing fantastic songs and have a real charisma on stage. From this time, I write on him as often as I can (always in the same mag, maybe not the most appropriate to stimulate curiosity) and I got the privilege to be one to those he regurarily writes emails. I asked him some days ago the authorization to establish my own Best of among the 39 original songs he sent me in the last months. He answered yes and seems curious of my choice. Honestly, I could include almost all of them if the criteria was to like them or not since I don't think possible to completely dislike one of his songs (the same with Peter Perrett for example). But here are the 11 eleven ones (hell heaven?) that I listen to again and again and again. Some of them are in my top 100 of the best songs ever composed (such as the great "Love song" you can listen to at the end of this post, but also "Sleep", a delicious recent one that should be known by everybody including you). The Lennon's influence is much more marked in his later songs and the musical arrangements are always chosen with a rare intelligence. JFG lives in France (like Elliott Murphy and I sometimes wonder why they stay in this cul-de-sac country where rock has not any chance to feed his man) and I hope that an English or American reader will be as enthousiastic as I am and send these songs to some label that would have the great idea to release them on CD. Here I imagined a vinyl release with 20 min or so on each side (self-made cover again of course, using pictures of him on stage). I made the choice of the order of the songs taking into account their recording dates (although JFG did not specify them clearly I must say) and the sequence I would have liked to find on a record. Enjoy enjoy and enjoy it again.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"polish in hell" (sorry) approve this

Anonymous said...

Ha oui!!!!!!!!!! Je t'approuve. Il faut le voir en concert.

dk said...

Un vrai album serait sur les rails semble-t-il. Croisons les doigts.

jeune femme gourmande said...

ah il assure en concert ?