9/13/09

Melanie - Ballroom Streets / The 4 CD-forgotten songs (1978)



Melanie has been someone very important in my life, either in musical or in personal terms, but it's not the place here to talk about it. I've tried my best, in particular via the Crossroads/Xroads mag, to contribute to the public reevaluation of this incredible singer songwriter, maybe the most European of all US singers (to be Ukrainian may have helped). Here, we found her in 1978, and in a very singular phase of her career. After a long 5 years period during which her success faded away due to the release of rather uneven albums, Melanie seeming more interested to care about her children than her records, she missed a great comeback in 1976 with the Photograph LP, that surprisingly flopped. With Ballroom Streets, it seems that the project was to make of Melanie a sort of rock singer leading a gang of male musicians. It is to note that she's rather lean, and it will be, to my knowledge, one of the only times in her life. Honestly, this apparent commercial bet is a complete success. She reveals herself a great band singer, and shows a swinging genius that even her fans were surprised to hear. Behind her, the band is competent but could have been better. In brief, this double vinyl LP recorded in Live condition in front of a small assemblee, had a lot of qualities to convince the press and the public that the Photograph LP was not a one-shot. Unfortunately it failed to reach this objective and Melanie would then drown deeper and deeper in obscurity. The reason of the present post is that all the CD versions of this double LP have sacrified 4 from the 18 songs, and among them, I think that 3 should have found their way in the reeditions. First, "Groundhog Day", from Photograph, a gorgeous song with such a so delicate smiling despair colour in Melanie's voice. Then, "Friends & Company", also from Photograph, with its long and very good instrumental final, that closed the LP. There was also the classic "Any Guy" from the Affectionately album (her second), strangely omitted of the CD versions. And last, a rather weak song, "Holdin' Out" from the Madrugada album. You'll find them here on this virtual EP with a self-made cover. Sorry for the low quality of the vinyl rip, but my original one is not in quite good and my technical skills to produce MP3 from analogic sources could still improve. I hope however that you'll find some pleasure. Enjoy here.


Here the lyrics of "Groundhog Day"
"I've grown fat I've grown a beard I've grown alone Seems no one comes to stay in my loneliness Sometimes love and sometimes none I'm out of luck but I'm not done Today is Groundhog Day Take me to a party take me to a room Where there ain't no corner For me to run into I think I'm gonna have to touch everyone in the place A game of hearts playing face to face How long a line to a space Where I look at mine You know I'm gonna have to touch everyone in their place Feel every part tasting every taste How much more running in place will it take to find It's Groundhog Day I've grown fat I've grown a beard I've grown alone It must be a year Today it's Groundhog Day, Groundhog Day Oh take me to a party Take me to a party I think I hear the music playing, ooh Take me out of my room I gotta get to a party Take me, take me to a party Take me out I think I gotta get out of my place I hear the music playing"

tilidom.com

2 comments:

Monsieur said...

thank's for all
Some of the favorites Dk's, maybe next time you will speak about Nikki Sudden?

About sludge: bastard I hate you, you introduce sludge in me.
Fu Manchu is great.

Excuse my french, I'm Polish

dk said...

Nikki Sudden? Sure I'll do, I love him and got some rare EPs from him.
More sludge to come too.
You're French is very good.
dk