8/5/15

Rikki Nadir - The Polaroid / The Old School Tie 7" (1979)



A re-up with an improved sound quality. Not perfect (I'm not a sound wizard, not even a trainee) but somewhat better than the previous version I posted and better too than the Youtube version that was posted 3 years ago (listen below). Never, to my knowledge, inserted in any reedition. Strange. As I wrote in the previous post, far from being a gem, it's nevertheless a mandatory addition to any Hammill's amateur. Catch it here. The cover sleeve's my own conception (not a classic but better than none). I think I'll compile a Peter Hammill's singles LP in the future. 

This is not what I call a great song but this is sure a rare one. And a strange one. Released in November 1979, some weeks after its pH7 album, under the name of Rikki Nadir (an alter ego created by Peter Hammill in 1975 for the fantastic LP Nadir's Big Chance), the motivation of Peter Hammill to release this song under this 4 years old name is a mystery for me. I am not sure he is quite fond of this song since he did not put it on the recent remastered and bonus-added version he did of his pH7 album. Surprinsingly, it was on the original US one. All this is not easy to understand. It is a reminiscence of the punky folk side of Peter Hammill and maybe where he may have gone if the new wave had caught him. That was not the case. Since the single had no cover, I did the one above myself today with a photograph (but not a polaroid) of Peter Hammill that same year (at least it seems). I think it is not too bad.

A more personal fact now. The cover I did when I bought the single in 1979 was a Leslie Krims photograph. I publish it because for me this song is for eternity (mine at least) associated with this picture.

And for bonus, a photograph of Peter Hammill in concert this same year (here I'm sure). Here is the source.

And a last bonus, the lyrics. I don't know it it's a true story he experienced but it is quite funny.
Me holidays on the Southern Sands,trying to get some fun by way of one night stands...I clocked this girl, thought l'd give her the chat -one of them Swedish blonde types and l've always fancied that. I showed her me Polaroid. She said "I like it, will you please take my picture?"I say "Right then", thinking this is gonna be me lucky day. She whips off her bikini top and I think "OK!" I say "It only takes a minute for this thing to develop."She says "I'd better push off now or me feller'll be jealous."Just then I felt a hand on me collar, and it was a Boy in Blue. He says "You can't take nude photographs on this beach,"and "I'm arresting you."I protested me innocence, but it was no use, the picture was forming;he gave me the official warning that day. He'd seen me Polaroid, so what could I say? I looked around, but she'd disappeared, I say "You don't understand, this was all her idea"but the copper says "Don't worry son, I get the picture OK." He took me Polaroid and I got ten days.

11 comments:

Sweet Songs Never Last Too Long said...

Merci pour ce titre qui est une découverte pour moi (et pour le visuel qui fait une ilustration très sympathique pour le single). Sam.

dk said...

Merci d'avoir laissé un commentaire. Peut-être bientôt un blues de Kevin Coyne ici même. Who knows?

Sweet Songs Never Last Too Long said...

You're welcomme...
Un blues... ou une rerise de Smkey Robinson comme "Let's Have A Party"...

Starsailor said...

merci pour ce titre, certes anecdotique, mais dont j'ignorais l'existence! une pierre de plus dans l'oeuvre magistrale de cet artiste hors du commun...

MAZE said...

I’ve been looking for this song in digital form for years, since my turntable no longer works. Can you please re-up it to a working host? Thanks.

dkelvin said...

Yes, sure, do it asap
dk

MAZE said...

I thought you were going to re-post this for me?

dkelvin said...

Sorry, I had first the intention to compile all the Petet Hammill singles on one LP but it's too much time consuming so I'll reup this one tonight and establish this As & Bs later that year
dk

dkelvin said...

Actually, I'd like beforehand to improve the sound quality of my vinyl rip so you'll still have to wait a little bit I fear
dk

dkelvin said...

Actually, I'd like beforehand to improve the sound quality of my vinyl rip so you'll still have to wait a little bit I fear
dk

David Alexander McDonald said...

In a bit of a weird turn of events, this was included on the US release of PH7. Sticks out like a sore thumb, too, I'll tell you.