9/7/09

Schlong - Stroker 7" (1991)


Between 1989 and 1994, I had a kind of compulsion for buying noise, sludge and doom US singles. All these bands were quite unknown at that time, and there was no difference for us between a new Unsane and a Schmortlurtz (or Schlong) single, since both were obscure bands from nowhere (remember it was a time without any web for the poor French spiders we were to gather some any information). Among them, some became famous (eg. Unsane) and sometimes more than famous (eg. Nirvana), and some remained in their eternal obscurity. Honestly, it was sometimes possible to predict their future and I can't say I'm surprised thant Schlong never made it. But I would not have bet a cent (a Euro one but in these times, it was still Francs) that Unsane would become so referential. All this to hide that I don't know a thing about this band from Florida... except that they are from Florida (and still, I'm not sure). I read that "schlong" and more specifically "schlong stroker" is the term for anybody practicing masturbation, the same way than a "branleur" in French "se masturbe" (you won't say that this blog doesn't contribute to help you learning foreign languages). Contrary to what you may think, I did not made the cover by myself as the Rikki Nadir one yesterday. This is the real one. If I post this 2 songs single, it is primary for the elegantly titled "Proctology disaster" (and I know what it is about, I've been operated myself of this sensitive area of our intimacy some years ago), an extraordinay piece, not of meat but of sludgy noise with some Drunk with Guns elements. The instrumental part of the second half of the song is gorgeous. The best now is to leave you enjoy this proctology disaster here, the other side being titled, quite similarly, "George Bush". I hope a French sludge band will take the idea and call one of his shit "Nicolas Sarkozy". He deserves it.


tilidom.com

4 comments:

Rough Mix said...

Hello Hypocondriacs,
Doom & Sluge is going to cure you!

dk said...

SluDge, with a "D", like "Dirty", or in French "Dégoutant", "Dégueulasse" etc.

sam said...

I was the guitar player in Schlong. We cut those two track in about 2-3 hours and not concern ourselves about production (as is evident I think). We were just really jazzed to be recording and relasing some vinyl. We moved to Denver, Colorado shortly after it's release and gigged around a bit. Got some fanmail and offers to tour in Germany, but with no support or funds it was impossible. The band folded maybe 2 yrs later. We never thought of our stuff as "sludge" per se, but it does describe it pretty well, in retrospect. It's cool that there was a bit of interest outside the USA. Thanks for listening.

dk said...

Oh, it's great to get a mail from you !!! Among the hundreds of singles I bought in the 90's and in this style, Schlong had something very special for me, that's why I published it rather quick on this blog. It would have been great if the band had found its place in the rock scene such as the Bastards. So bad. Thanx again to have left a comment.