4/4/15

Fuchsia - Self titled (1971)



I'm glad to re-up this fantastic underrated and forgotten album that my below text seems to have stimulated a visitor's curiosity. I'm not anxious about the fact it will be highly appreciated. the bands I cited below or more recently in The Only Truth Is Music, don't hesitate, catch this LP full of strings and weird harmonies here. A great recent interview with Tony Durant, the man behind Fuchsia here. And strangely, a follow-up to this classic was given by the same TD 2 years ago there. Last you can have a remastered version of this classic on Bandcamp with 2 bonus tracks and a flac version, here.

With Mandy Morton's Magic Lady, String Driven Thing's Machine That Cried, Comus' First Utterance, Jethro Tull's Stand Up, and some of the Strawbs albums (old or recent), Fuchsia (unfortunately, this is their only album) stands at the top of my favorite ones in the folk genre (I don't consider Melanie as folk, the reason why I don't include her here). This UK combo had a splendid approach of folk, with a virtuosity that, contrary to many folk bands of that time (and I think I know them almost all), does not turn in a boring demonstration (boring for me, I know many who get a kind of orgasm listening to virtuosity but "très peu pour moi", acoustic guitar can rapidly become a pain in the ass). Fuchsia had the great idea to have at least 3 string instruments in them, and this gives them an Electric Light Orchestra flavor (ELO with Roy Wood, not the Jeff Lynne vehicle) or I'd say a "Penny Lane"'s savor. But most of all, they had Tony Durant (interestingly, it's been said that he began his career with Henry Cow's Chris Cutler in a band called Louise), who composed great great songs. Honestly, he could rivalised with any Roy Wood or Ian Anderson (the folk side of Jethro Tull is often a comparison that comes to mind). Just drop an ear to "Shoes and Ships" to verify it. Medolies are gorgeous, constantly unexpected in their ability to change, anticipating Prefab Sprout by 15 years. There is moreover a darkness here that allows to say that they belong to this doomish seventies folk in which all the above cited bands belong. Their ability to mix styles of music reaches its peak in the instrumental part of "Nothing Song" where Shostakovitch seems to invade the place (this is the song I chosed to put below in streaming but I could have chosen any of them, they are all fantastics). When I say "folk", don't fear a soporific experience, drums are always there and it's punchy as evil. I don't know why this album is not considered as an uncontestable classic. All those who love this LP must keep the energy to write again and again how great it is. Buy it afterwards to benefit of the sound quality cos' it's been reissued on Night Wing records. This is a rip from ChrisGoesRock, now Drop Out Boogie (see in my fave blogs at the right of the screen). Hope he will forgive me.


tilidom.com

3 comments:

Ozzy said...

Thank you very much, this is very nice!

billy said...

hi your description of fuscia intriged me,any chance of a re-up.
also thanks for your peace releases,saw free long ago at newcastle mayfair.b

billy said...

many thanks,enjoying this right now been reading the excellent 'electric eden'book where they get a brief mention.