10/11/09

Kim Fowley - Bubblegum / Wildfire 7" (1969)


Do I need to present the great Kim Fowley? I don't think so. His first real album was in 1968 the outrageous Outrageous LP, a devil of a disk, mad as few can be, wild and still unmatched to this day. From this essential LP was drawn this single. I own a specimen but I don't remember how I got it (in 1968 I was too young to buy it so I must have found it much later but where, I don't know) but I must say I am really glad to have it with me. Moreover, the song of the A-side should have been a hit since it had all the qualities of a standard. But the times were not ready for it. All they could tolerate was provocation from poets like Jim Morrison, not from someone so "sulfurous" than Kim Fowley. In 1985, Sonic Youth covered this song and proposed a great version of it. It would have been a better idea to back Kim than Iggy Pop but it was not their choice. On the B-side, "Wildfire" represents the other style that one can find on Outrageous, the experimental one, a kind of "Antonin Artaud makes rock music" approach that is as vivid today that it was at this time. Because, this music is, like Beefheart's one, still contemporary and has aged more than well. There is actually not many able to propose something as exciting than this today (but there are exceptions of course, and I don't know everything). I'll post many more Kim Fowley records and forgotten songs on this blog because his vast discography has been shamely very badly released on CD and not always easy to find on existing blogs. My single is only wrapped in paper so I did one of my DIY cover. This is a picture from the Outrageous LP, a really provocative one. See by yourself. After Alex in Hitler, you might have understood where my heart is when we talk about rock imagery. Enjoy the sound of Kim here.


tilidom.com

5 comments:

the saucer people said...

Its hard to believe I have gone through life having only heard the Sonic Youth cover (and I cannot even use my age in a defence), I knew Kim Fowley had done the original but somehow I expected his version to be more mellower....how wrong I was! This version 'rawks' as the young people no longer say.

dk said...

Kim Fowley is a mad genius and most of his albums are must have (or listen). I'll post more of it later when I'll be again in my Kim Fowley period (once a year generally) since I gathered all he released during the last 40 years...
Thx for the comment

L'etranger said...

Yeah, exactly: "Antonin Artaud makes rock music"... staggeringly good. Kim Fowley est plus qu'un fou... évidemment.

STWND said...

Kim Fowley actually has one LP prior to this one, 'Love Is Alive And Well' from 1967. It's also great!

musicyoucan said...

Hello,
To complete all you re-uploaded on Kim Fowley's stuff, can you re-up this one ?
Many Thanks
musicyoucan