4/26/17

Sparks - Wunderbar fake EP (2003)



A long awaited re-up I forgot for unknown reasons. But since there's a new Sparks on the way (release next September under the title of Hippopotamus), it's an opportunity to re-up this incredible fake EP. Note that the Deluxe edition of Lil Beethoven it is driven from is now quite expensive and it's another reason to make it available again. I didn't find the credit for the pictures of the ceover sleeve I created although these images are now rather easy to find. Catch it here. I did a small video with other images of the Asian soccer models playing in the mud since the song was not on Youtube. Maybe it will be deleted because of lack of copyright but I'm trying anyway.

My fave song on the great Lil' Beethoven album... is a bonus track on the Deluxe Edition. It's called "Wunderbar" and it is not sung by Russell Mael (and not sung at all actually) but taken from a certain Gunter Koch, a German radio football commentator. Apparently, this song could be only anecdotical, but, as often with Ron Mael, it becomes impressive and somewhat "inquiétante" (take a dictionary, I can't find a better word in English). Yes this piece of strangeness is addictive even in its ability to distillate a poisoning atmosphere due to the music, not so funny and giving to this song a kind of military flavor reminding the darkest hours of German history. It would have magnificiently fitted in a Cabaret style film. Maybe one future day. The 2 other bonus tracks (on the virtual B-side) are fine too. One is a kind of explanation of the Lil' Beethoven concept by Ron Mael. The last one is an instrumental version of "The Rhythm Thief" and it's a delight. I truly like Russell's voice, but the instrumentals Ron create can stand by their own. Honestly this man is a genius, even if in the past, he often lost the touch, Sparks being for example quite embarassing to hear in the nineteies. But these dark times are over now, and with Lil' Beethoven they became again the great band they had been long ago. For the sleeve, I chose a fantastic series of pictures of young asian girls in underwear playing football in the mud. It is, Sparks fans will admit, exactly in line with a Sparks imagery. Unfortunately, although these pictures are easy to find on the web, none credit the photograph and since I don't speak Korean (I'd say these girls are Koreans but nothing sure) I can't give the credits I would have liked to find. I post this one as Sparks are releasing their 22th album, based around Ingmar Bergman, and I hope this will add another gem to their long career.



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Inquietante, that's right. Thanks for this fine post.
Only two things to add. The voice on The Legend of Lil'Beethoven belongs to Ron Mael, not to Russell. And for me, these pics associate rather with Ron's familiarity with the old "pinku films" imagery.

http://www.mojo4music.com/blog/2008/11/ron_mael_the_best_thing_ive_he.html

PS: I fed your fishes, they're irresistible!

dk said...

Thanx for the comment and for the rectification of my mistake on The "Story of Lil' Beethoven". So listening more closely, I should have recognized the voice I must admit. Thx also for the link to the Mojo "The Best Thing I’ve Heard All Year" page. And finally thx for the fishes, they were rather hungry, I'd forgotten to feed them yesterday... :)

Anonymous said...

You're welcome :)
(of course I used this occasion to sneak in and feed them again)

roberto said...

I've just arrived on your blog,great stuff like Alex Harvey,a real 70's icon that seem to be sadly unknown today,Gazoline,one of the best french punk band ever,P.Hammill...may i ask you to re up this Sparks single again?cheers

dk said...

Did it. Hope it'll last
Thx for the comment and fine you like it.
dk

roberto said...

you're too kind,dk,thanks a lot,i've never been able to find a deluxe copy of lil' Beethoven,only the normal,so i was curios to hear these tracks,coming from one of the best albums of the last years and from one of the all time great bands...thanks again!

Anonymous said...

Merci beaucoup pour ca! I think Sparks 90's output was tres Magnifique! J'adore "Gratuitous Sax et les Violins Insensé" mais j'adore le beaucoup sur tout "Semaine de Sensibilisation à La Criminalité Nationale" recorded avec Le Finitribe d'ecosse. C'est tres rare et le UK CD Maxi est impossible d'ecouvre. Pourriez-vous mettre sur pied un EP faux avec le UK 12" renixes et les versions CD sur elle?