10/22/16

The Saints - Every Day's A Holiday Every Night's A Party / Looking For The Sun fake 7" (1978)



Very good idea to aks me to re-up this fake single from the Saints. Below, some details about it in the first post (in 2011). No much to add. I think it would have been a fine single and maybe a hit. Interesting for the non-album B-side that has been released now on various re-issues of Prehistoric Sounds it's true. Catch it here.

The Saints have been one of my fave bands since their first single ("I'm Stranded") at the end of 1976. It was a shame they disbanded even if the Ed Kuepper's Laughing Clowns were a hell of a band too. The last LP of their magnificent tryptic was Prehistoric Sounds, one of the 5 LPs I would take with me on an island if I had to go there for the rest of my agony. In this wonderful album, a song should have been released as a single, and that song is "Every Day's A Holiday, Every Night's A Party", a sarcastic and desabused song on the way of life of rich youngsters it seems, and who seem to drink a lot (the reason I chose this interesting shot (don't know who took it) for the "did it myself" cover. If you listen closely, you can hear something of "Smell Like Teen Spirit" in it, the song that would throw Nirvana in the stardom circus 10 years later (or maybe it's a personal subjective impression, I'll never know). If I'm posting this fake single (nobody having released it in this format at the time), it's also to share the B-side, an unreleased track recorded during the Prehistoric Sounds sessions that did not make its way on the album and which was released on CD more than 25 years later on 2 very complete Saints retrospectives, quite hard (and expensive) to find today (and not with valid link on any blog presently). It's called "Looking For The Sun", and it's a rather unusual song for the Saints, quite dylanesque actually, but very good and that any Saints fan should know. 






















Every Day's A Holiday, Every Night's A Party. Night time, neon sign, synthetic grin Fast cars, drag bars, ice in my gin Discotheques were all the rage, dancing til two Champagne and misery where are you? Let's have another drink Let's have another drink Loud music, crowds grooving, drunk at the door Life in the mirror cracked, sick on the floor Coffee addict, automatic pistols were drawn Be my suicidal heart-throb c'est de l'amour Let's have another drink Let's have another drink Everyday is a holiday and everynight it's party time 'Cause all the world is mine, all the world is mine Night time, neon sign, synthetic grin Fast cars, drag bars, ice in my gin Discotheques were all the rage, dancing til two Champagne and misery where are you? Let's have another drink Let's have another drink


3 comments:

geololo said...

Hi, I thought I knew mostly everything about the Saints. This post clearly demostrates I actually don't. Any chance chance for a reupload of this rare Saints single ?
Thanks. Cheers.

geololo said...

Hi DKelvin,

thank you so much for the reupload. Always good to give a listen to this gem B-sides. I only own the original version of the LP "Prehistoric Sounds", not the reissue. Maybe I shoud have a look at all these reissues, despite the fact that I am not too much into it. Also because this single is now quite hard to find. thanks anyway.

What about Television Personalities reupload I have been asking for, including "All The Young Children On Crack" 7" ? Do we have any chance for a reupload ?
Actually, I discoved your blog recently, and i am afraid there's quite a lot of suff I could (and probably will) ask for a reupload...

Cheers, Laurent

Anonymous said...

thanks