9/30/16

The Soft Boys - (I Want To Be An) Anglepoise Lamp / Fat Man's Son 7" (1978)



Second re-up of the early Soft Boys singles, here the second one and, sorry for the visitor called Jah, I really think it's a weak song in regard to the Soft Boys standards, as I wrote in the initial post (below as usual) but since it has been requested, I provide it here. More to come.

Not a good Soft Boys single I admit. Maybe the worst. But it's the second one and I don't want to omit one because I don't like it. I don't know why Robyn Hitchcock thought this was a good idea to put this dual track 7" as an ambassador of the band when one knows the amount of fantastic songs he had stored and would release the next months. Even the sleeve was not appropriate to the band with its simili-new wavish imagery. The lyrics were very weak too and I don't find it necessary to publish them below. In brief, a deceiving second shot and I was not far to consider that this band would not reach the same peak than its first single. Retrospectively, it's quite funny to think of it since the number of great songs Robyn Hitchcock, with and without the Soft Boys, would compose and release, is impressive. Before that, for curiosity, give a try here.


4 comments:

Jah said...

OMG, I couldn't disagree more! This is
just about my FAVORITE Soft Boys 45 (well, the A-side, at least...). Back in the day I played this f#$%er to death as a college radio DJ....
Also, not to name drop, but to name drop, I hung out with Robyn & the boys back when they played NY in 1980
at the 80's and Mudd Clubs, respectively.....best time of my life....

ps. Incidently, I don't use the term "OMG" lightly..... (only when I feel the need to be pretentious...)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for making this available! Great to have a copy while I justify picking up the valuable 7".

Anonymous said...

link is dead. please reupload. thanks!

amtlpaul said...

I think it's a great single, but certainly different from "Underwater Moonlight"