9/2/14

Melanie - Low Country LP (1997)



Always a pleasure to see a Melanie album requested. This one is not one of her most known but the beginning of a golden era (until 2002) during which she released several great albums. Low Country is quite a singular album that digs her american roots when most of her music was much more European inclined. Catch it here.

1997 was a busy year for Melanie with Antlers at the end of the year (try it here) and Low Country at the beginning (the one we talk about). It's a shame that this album was not released with a normal distribution since it had everything to find a large audience. Actually this is the more American record she did in all her career. In a sense her Dylano-Springteenian album although it's hard for me to write it (I kinda dislike Springsteen). It's quite similar to what Ian Hunter's been doing in the late years. It seems so different of her other albums that it shows that Melanie has never been your usual country-rock singer as some would seem to suppose. The album contains some real gems and even if there are some rockers, most of the LP is quiet and lyrically real sad and desillusioned on almost everything, love included ("I'm Not In Love Anymore" is one of her most depressive texts). To the 12 tracks of the initial version, I add the unreleased version of "Prematurely Grey" recorded during the same sessions and that is one of the most moving songs of the whole. Strange she did not want to include it here. I would have liked to know the reason why. Musically, she is backed with her son and fine musicians and no more trace of the awful 80's sound that ruined her songs during the eighties and the first part of the 90's. Actually, this is not the style of music I prefer but Melanie could sing almost any style, I would be able to appreciate. I used the real cover sleeve for the front but created a back one to write the song names. Included in the rar file are the lyrics of all the songs. Thx to say thx in comments if you appreciate the work.



In streaming, I posted the rockest of the whole, "On The Lam Of The Law", not far from what Barbara Keith plays with the Stone Coyotes, and the previously unreleased one, "Prematurely Grey", for its emotional power. I added an interesting video (not good visual quality but sound is OK) in which she plays "Freedom Knows My Name" 2 years before Low Country, backed with a bass-drummer duo and by her daughter for vocals.

A Lam In The Law. I'm on the lam from the law boy On the lam from the law I never pick up no certified mail You never know what it's for If anybody asks you tell them I'm not home I'm gonna take my number Off this bugged telephone You see I never did, I never knew, I never saw On the lam from the law I'm on the lam from the law boy On the lam from the law As if death wasn't enough boy They never leave you alone If anybody asks you don't know where I am I don't know how I got myself into this terrible jam You see I never did, I never knew, I never saw On the lam from the law No dirty words in my song I drive with my seat belt on Got sued and lost what a scam See you in court Get in line what a jam I'm on the lam from the law boy On the lam from the law I never pick up no certified mail You never know what it's for If anybody asks you tell them you don't know where I am I don't know how I got myself Into this terrible jam I never did, I never knew, I never saw I'm on the lam from the law I'm on the lam from the law I'm on the lam from the law

Prematurely Grey. Too quick to smile And to easy to cry The first to say hello And the last to say goodbye A sucker for adventure A fool for the truth And I'm prematurely grey Absolutely blue And I'm prematurely grey Absolutely blue Too late to come And the last to go The first one to believe And the last to know A sucker for religion And all that is true And I'm prematurely grey Absolutely blue And I'm prematurely grey Absolutely blue

tilidom.com
tilidom.com




10 comments:

stevon said...

Thanks so much for exposing a hidden gem, Why Melanie chose to keep this treasure limited to a few
fans at her shows in 1997 and a quiet release as an MP3 download in 2004 is beyond me !
I'm Not In Love Anymore is brilliant in it's devasting emotional impact.
I really dig your site !
Barbara Keith & the Stone Coyotes,
Melanie,Steve Harley & so many more neglected but vital artists !
WOW !!!!
Thank You !
Von

dk said...

I never posted The Stone Coyotes since they sell their records directly and can get their due. But of course, I encourage the visitors of this blog to get all the SC albums as soon as they can, and not limiting this acquisition to the MP3 on blogs;
dk

TarBabyJim said...

Nice review. If anyone is interested in this CD (download), it at itune along with a lot of Melanies work.

On a sad note, Melanies' husband of 40 years died yesterday. His work as her producer will be missed greatly.

dk said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
dk said...

Awful news you give us. Her husband was the love of her life. She must be devastated.

Any middle-aged German Witch in Amerika said...

Yes, that was a shock. We had met them just a few days before, and he seemed fine. He had had a heart attack the year before and had survived that, and now, Oct 20 and 21, all seemed good.

What a shock when we heard the terrible news on the morning of Oct 27, that Peter had died in the Best Buy store in Framingham the evening before! They were on tour on the east coast, and the next concert was scheduled for upcoming Saturday (Oct 30).

She did that show, and all were there who could possibly travel, just to be with her.

Jeordie flew in from Arizona, Jess Leary flew in from Florida (I believe), MJ actually DROVE from Arkansas to Massachussettes, just to name a few.

We also drove up, although we had not planned to visit that concert, as it was a 7 hour drive.

It was a shock to everybody, and we couldn't believe she would really do that show, but she did!

You can read details about the concert on the Melanie Forum under

http://www.melaniesmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=34487&page=1

Any middle-aged German Witch in Amerika said...

P.S. The above shown picture is from 1987-88

Anonymous said...

Sadly, the link for 'Low Country' is no longer working :(

dkelvin said...

Done
dk

Anonymous said...

Sadly, the link for 'Low Country' is no longer working... :(