3/1/15

Todd Rundgren - A Wizard A True Star Live At The Paradiso (2010)



God, that was 5 years ago. Time's going so fast it's like I was almost dead. This is a re-up requested. A (I suppose) rather rare live document you may appreciate to be available again. Funny that I re-up this Paradiso concert when the new TR album is a double CD with another Paradiso concert (2 years later and not focussed on AWATS) as a bonus. So you can have 2 precious live performances caught at the same place in a short time-window. Catch this one here.

Todd Rundgren and his big band had decided to give us an appointment in Amsterdam for the closing of a tour dedicated to the rendition of his legendary 1973 album ‘A Wizard A True Star’, initiated on September 5th last year in Akron, Ohio. Fourteen concerts altogether, 12 in the U.S. and 2 in Europe, among which the Hammersmith Apollo in London last Saturday and then Monday night, at the Paradiso, in Amsterdam. Costumed by Michelle Rundgren, Todd has built a show whose priority is the visual. Two groups of musicians perched on platforms in all white tuxedos coated, form the "big band". The (many) keyboards on which Ralph Schuckett (with Rundgren from 73 and especially since Utopia II), Greg Hawkes (Keyboardist for The Cars) and Bobby Strickland (already present in 2 Rundgren’s albums, "Nearly Human" and "Second Wind") put their fingers are on your right; Jesse Gress, Kasim Sulton and Prairie Prince are facing them and on your left. I confess that although I already watched some videos circulating since the first concert in Akron Ohio, I was amazed by the performance. We must still remember that this album was released in 1973, that Todd wrote all these tunes over several years with recording equipment of thirty seven years old, which belong to the prehistory of the recording!
Rough Mix

A selection of some great pictures from the Paradiso show by Lion Keezer










Sometimes I don't know what to feel. Sometimes I don't know I just don't know what to feel Sometimes I don't know what to feel Everything I thought that I knew starts to look so unreal There's a ringing in my head that keeps me awake at night Sometimes I don't know what is right Today I saw a car crush my little dog under its wheel It did not even stop, it just sped off and out of sight Sometimes I just feel so afraid But I know that no one else has it made So if I just believe in myself I won't need no help from nobody else and I can make it alone And everything will be cool, I got to keep on keepin' on There's nothing else I can do Sometimes I don't know what to do Someone said the world's going to end and I think its true I thought there was some love in the world but I guess I'm wrong Sometimes I just feel so alone I don't want to admit to my friends that I feel confused I wonder what I'd do with myself if the world was gone Something makes me stay on my feet Don't you dare admit to defeat And if I tell myself it's all right I can comfort myself through the night and watch another day dawn And everything will be cool
When the Shit Hits the Fan. Earthquake in New York City, the Chrysler Building fell in my yard But when the shit hits the fan,I think I'll have to make my way back to Sunset Boulevard The IRA has just hit London, they blew up half of Scotland Yard But when the shit hits the fan, I guess I'll try to make my way back to Sunset Boulevard Cruisin' down a mountain highway, someone's cut the brakes on my car But when the shit hits the fan, I know I have to get my ass back to Sunset Boulevard


tilidom.com
tilidom.com

8 comments:

Jean Rhume said...

Salut les jeunes,
Ca me dit "error" alors je réessaierai plus tard...

Anonymous said...

J'ai chargé ce concert....Et bien je ne peux que vous remercier pour cette mise à disposition de ce que, encore, j'aurais loupé.....
Amitiés

Thiad

Jobe said...

I have always loved this record. I have not seen THIS anywhere else. Great Job
Thanks

annmargretfan said...

I haven't seen this one anywhere. Can;t say thanks enough for the chance to hear this.

KDNYfm said...

Didnt know this existed. Can hardly wait to see how it compares to the show I saw back in Mid 70s when Todd did Wizard with tapes of himself, and than a group show afterwards!
Thanx for sharing!

dkelvin said...

He tried to do the LP exactly how it was in studio but honestly it's not totally the same magical power. But great anyway
dk

Anonymous said...

just found this link please can you fix the links for this recording thanks Derry

Anonymous said...

Thanks for Repost Derry