3/31/10

Mott The Hoople - Roll Away The Stone / Where Do You Come From / Through The Looking Glass 7" (1974)



Why a single with 3 songs? Because this single was released 6 months apart with 2 different B-sides. The first version in November 1973 (in UK, reaching n°8 in the charts) with a non-album track called "Where Do You Come From", a Stones-backing-Dylan song, the way Ian Hunter likes it, not a great one, but an interesting track. The second version (US one that did not chart) was backed with one of the best songs ever written and sung by Ian Hunter but also in the whole music history, "Through The Looking Glass", a mix between the Kinks "Sitting In My Hotel" and David Bowie's "Bewlay Brothers". Can't listen to it for the last 36 years without shivering like a naked child lost in a cold night. This is from this song that is derived the name of a monthly paper I write in Xroads (you remember it's a French rock magazine) and called Diar(rh)y. A song beginning by " I'm feelin' ugly - I'm feelin low" could not be something else than my fave song. I don't think Ray Davies, Lou Reed, Bowie, Hammill, Steve Harley or anyone else has done a song being both so somptuous and intimate. The A-side was a bubble gum melody in the Roy Wood vein (or in other words the Spector one), not a great one, but that puts some light in the grey of the days. Enjoy it here.



Through the Looking Glass. I'm feelin' ugly - I'm feelin low - mornin' mirror - you ain't no rose And did I mean it - or did I lie - or did I dream it - Oh! Christ I'm tired. Why then did ya have to grin, now the blood rolls down my chin - Oh You know you painted so much blue, and I'm much younger than that too Oh mirror - what did I do to you? You're my voyeur - see every line - chase them to destinations - On through time And you're my diary - yeah, the bitter truth - unexpurgated - a mis-spent youth, oh - Do you have to paint teeth green, when they're snowy, white and clean? Do you have to make eyes red, when they're clear and fresh instead? - Oh mirror, I wish you'd lose your head - Sometimes I'm on a gig, and I'm feeling kinda good I run and look at you, just like a pop star would But you just glare at me with those dark accusing eyes That say My make-up's good... I'd like to.... I'd like so much to.... - Oh I'll never look at you again - 'cause I'm really not that vain - Seven years bad luck ain't that long - before I smash you, hear my song - Oh mirror, I'm sorry you were wrong.


tilidom.com

Below is the Mott TV appearance on Top of the Pops in 1973. They had quite the look I think. And seeing Ian Hunter is always a pleasure. But before a nice video done for "Through the Looking Glass".

No comments: