4/25/10

Felt - Primitive Painters EP (1985)



In August 1985 was issued one of the greatest songs of the 20th century: "Primitive Painters" composed by Laurence, the leader of the band Felt. I've never been a fan of this band and honestly doesn't consider the rest of their discography as my cuppa tea but "Primitive Painters" is unbelievable. Of course, the participation of Liz Frazer on vocals and of Robin Guthrie as a producer (both of Cocteau Twins) is surely what makes the difference. But this would not have made this song so great if it was not a gem per se. Tonight, don't know why, but I had the melody of this song in my head, and since it was my project to post it here one day or another, it's the right time. Even if you're allergic to the 80's sound, give a hear here to this masterpiece, it's worth the listen I assure. Below a pic of Laurence, who was a kind of Pete Doherty of the times.



Primitive Painters. I just wish my life could be as strange as a conspiracy I hold out home but there's no way of being what I want to be The dragons blow fire angels fly spirits wither in the air I'm just me I can't deny I'm neither here, there nor anywhere Oh you should see my trail of disgrace (Oh oh you should see my trail of disgrace) It's enough to scare the whole human race
I said, oh you should see my trail of disgrace (Oh oh you should see my trail of disgrace) It's enough to scare the whole human race, yeah, eminence I don't care about this life, they say there'll be another one Defeatist attitude I know will you be sorry when I've gone Primitive painters are ships floating on an empty sea Gathering in galleries were stallions of imagery Oh you should see my trail of disgrace, (Oh oh you should see my trail of disgrace) It's enough to hold the whole human race I said oh you should see my trail of disgrace (Oh oh you should see my trail of disgrace) This is a new trance, yeah, an entrance too (You should see my trail of disgrace) And there's a look on your face, it's a human race And if you just can't stand it, ah, I swear This is a new trance, yeah, an entrance too (You should see my trail of disgrace) And there's a look on your face, it's a human race And if you just can't stand it, ah, I swear I said it thinner This is a new trance, yeah, an entrance too And there's a look on your face, it's a human race And if you just can't stand it, ah, I swear This is a new trance, yeah, an entrance too And there's a look on your face, it's a human race And if you just can't stand it, ah, I swear This is a new trance, yeah, an entrance too (I just swear, light on me) And there's a look on your face, it's a human race (Your bitter trance) And if you just can't stand it, ah, I swear (Yeah yeah) This is a new trance, yeah, an entrance too And there's a look on your face, it's a human race Hold on) And if you just can't stand it, ah, I swear (Hold on love, on and on) This is a new trance, yeah, an entrance too And there's a look on your face, it's a human race And if you just can't stand it, ah, I swear (The way I see it, yeah yeah) This is a new trance, yeah, an entrance too (In your father's life) And there's a look on your face, it's a human race And if you just can't stand it, ah, I swear (Painters of my life) This is a new trance, yeah, an entrance too And there's a look on your face, it's a human race And if you just can't stand it, ah, I swear (Swear I'm your life) This is a new trance, yeah, an entrance too (Do you feel it?) And there's a look on your face, it's a human race (I'm good) And if you just can't stand it, ah, I swear (Yeah, we?re jamming on) This is a new trance, yeah, an entrance too And there's a look on your face, it's a human race (I can feel through your head) And if you just can't stand it, ah, I swear This is a new trance, yeah, an entrance too (All through your life) And there's a look on your face, it's a human race And if you just can't stand it, ah, I swear This is a new trance

tilidom.com

6 comments:

Jean Rhume said...

Rhayayaïe, je l'ai déjà dit mais les petits lecteurs sont chafouins avec mon ordi ! Ca le fait aussi avec les vidéos.
Parfois j'arrive à les faire démarrer mais ensuite, j'arrive plus à les arrêter (genre pour écouter autre chose sur le blog), ça met parfois une minute pour que la petite main ré-apparaisse.

Ce commentaire est passionnant j'en conviens mais c'est con car souvent, je lâche l'affaire (l'homme moderne étant pressé comme pas deux, même quand il a rien à foutre de ses journées).

Parallèlement à cela, je vous passe le bonjour le plus youkaïdi !

Anonymous said...

Why did you include the version of 'Cathedral' from the 1st album?? The version on the PP 12" is a re-recording. Felt did this a lot.

dk said...

Because I didnt know. I am not an exegete of Felt. I will try to put the version of my vinyl cos I do not know where to find the rerecording of Cathedral in CD; If you know, thanx to tell

aydriane said...

Thank you so much for the post and link dk. This song brings back a lot of great memories:)

dk said...

To me too. A very special period of my life during which this song was for me like a sound miracle. All seemed possible. Nothing has been.

geololo said...

Salut, bon ben je continue dans les demandes de reupload. Celui-ci me paraît indispensable. Possible ?
Ceci dit, je trouve que l'ensemble de l'oeuvre de ce groupe est quand même excellente, en marge des incontournables de la Britpop des années Smiths.
Cheers, Laurent.