4/4/10

Mott The Hoople - Foxy Foxy / Trudi's Song 7" (1974)



Let's be optimistic (yes folks, I'll try this time, it's Easter after all, the resurection of the Christ). All love stories don't turn as bitter jokes and end as buried cadavers in the back of our mind like in the back of our gardens. Some cross the decades and only death can separate the lovers. This is one of them that Ian Hunter had the chance (and the talent cos it's quite a talent to keep alive a love story) to live since for more than 36 years now, he's still with Trudi (at least I believe but I can be wrong, if it's the case, don't hesitate to tell in comments). And the B-side of this single is the one he tells how it's good to be loved this way. A really simple and wonderful song driven from The Hoople LP. On A-side, it was, unusually, a non-LP track, once again a Spectorian song (the way Roy Wood did it with Wizzard). Not a great achievement. Released in June 1974 (3 months after "The Golden Age of Rock 'n Roll") it was surely supposed to candidate for the summer hit but it was a miss (only 33 in the charts). This was a sign of the cul-de-sac in which was going the band at the time. And the dawn was on the horizon. Anyway, give it a try here.



Sorry, no video from the band playing any of these 2 songs on TV or live.

Trudi's Song. She doesn't have to say - she only has to look I think she sees Through me - reads me like a book And I'm in love with her, and she's in love with me And the love goes sailin' on - across the stormy seas. Mmmmm, I got my babe, Mmmmm, I got my babe, She's a right-on child, she goes smilin' Sometimes I go over the line, she has to bring me down, And the pride pulls heavy, makes some evil sounds. But I'm in love with her, and she's in love with me And the sea runs calmer now, I kiss the love that sleeps. Mmmm, I got my babe, Mmmm I got my babe,She's a right-on child, she goes smilin' Mmmm, I got my babe, Mmmm I got my babe
tilidom.com

No comments: