4/16/10

Peter Hammill - The (less incomplete) Peel Sessions (1973-1988)



If it was necessary to have a demonstration that the disc industry considers that we are only paying pigs and that it's no use to respect us, this compilation would be one element of the trial. Actually Peter Hammill recorded 6 sessions for this show, 4 with 3 songs and 2 with 4 songs. So, when in 1995, a Peter Hammill's Peel sessions album was released, we could hope to have 20 songs on it. There were actually only 14. The 2 first sessions were not included. We could imagine that these recordings were lost, who knows, but when the remastered versions of the original studio albums of Peter Hammill were released 4 years ago, the second sessions appeared miraculously on The Silent Corner and the Empty Stage. But, would you believe, not the 3 songs, only 2, "A Louse is not a Home" being replaced by a late live playing of "The Lie". And no trace of the 1st Peel session on Chameleon in the Shadow of the Night. All this is impossible to understand but the result is that 4 songs played by Peter Hammill at the Peel sessions are nowhere to find. So, I do not promise here the complete, but the less incomplete collection of the songs played by Hammill at this radio show. I don't need to say that these sessions are seminal, not only for Hammill's fans but for anyone who appreciate intensity and deep introspective examination. The 4th session in particular, following the release of the LP Over, is a must hear for everybody. This is one of the songs played at this session I streamed below, one of his strongest songs in his complete career. Be careful, the last session is a rather special period for Peter Hammill, going into cheapelectronic 80's sound. Not listenable now. Enjoy it here.



Betrayed. When I began I was full of altruistic dreams, Believed in princes and princesses, kings and queens - Now I find they're all human inside, All bitterness and pride, So why shouldn't I be like that too? It seems that I've forgotten all I tried so hard to learn; It seems there's not an ounce of love or trust Anywhere in the world. Friends - they're all harbouring knives To embed in your back our of revenge, or spite, Or indifference, or lack of other things to do - In the end who's going to be a friend for you When they kick you in the guts as your hand Holds out the pearl? It seem that there is nothing left but Hatred and lust in the world. I don't give a damn anymore - I've only wound up betrayed. It's all been absolutely worthless - All the efforts I've made to be gentle and kind Are repaid with contempt, Degraded by sympathy, and worthless kindness And love that isn't meant. I'm through with joy and company, I've done with pretty words, Betrayed... there's no hiding place Anywhere in the world. I've nothing left to fight for except making my passion heard - I don't believe in anything Anywhere in the world



tilidom.com

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanx very much! bloody time for an official complete bbc-sessions collection! meanwhile this will time me over. best, ubique

Webbaticy said...

Thanks a lot!
Is there any new chance about getting the lost 1973 session and the A Louse is not a Home missing from 1974?

dk said...

Never found nor localised. Unfortunately. Sorry.

Webbaticy said...

I found this one:
http://www.mediafire.com/?d62o1qqs7u651b8

The first is a "Vision" version, then there should be the 1973 and the february 1974 sessions...And after there's a strange mix of VDGG 1977/78 and other PH solos. Really lo-fi, indeed.

dk said...

Oooooh, thx so much. True the sound is lo-fi but it's so precious I'll put them on the blog soon. Very very very thx.
dk

Webbaticy said...

Just came back from a VDGG live....wonderful, I'm so amazed!

dk said...

What a chance you got. No date in France (damned country for concerts). I suppose it must be great yes.
dk

Vlad Tepes said...

I'm trying to collect all Hammill and VDGG BBC sessions. I want to do a post about these sessions. Recently I found a file named "BBC session 1974 A house is not a home". I SUPPOSE it could be the missed "A louse is not a home" (Hammill on the piano), even if quality is "shitty".

I added your blog to my blogroll

http://isle-of-noises.blogspot.com/

Au revoir

dkelvin said...

Since it seems we have a lot in common when music's involved (Arachnoid Space, Gnaw Their Tongue) I add too your blog to my fave. For A Louse is Not A Home, I'd like to catch it to complete the whole. I'll try.
Thx for the comment
dk

Vlad Tepes said...

Try here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?gns0z4qfg21642j

Tell me what you think about

Bella and Holly said...

Hi,
would be great if you could re up this and the other Peel session
Great blog
Ian

dkelvin said...

OK. I'll do it soon
dk

dkelvin said...

But beforehand I'll add the 1973 session after improving it's sound quality.
dk