1/26/17

Shocking Blue - Rock in the Sea / Broken Heart 7" (1972)


This 11th single was a sort of beginning of the end for the band, reaching only n°12 in Netherland where they would never reach their anterior levels anymore. But this is of no importance since, as I wrote in the first post almost 7 years ago, this my fave Shocking Blue song either for the lyrics than for the beat and melody. Posterity should have made it an eternal standard, this is what this blog is aimed to for some songs posted on it. This is one of them. Catch it here. The B-side is unfortunately rather weak. PS. As for all this re-up series, I added the cover sleeve of the Netherland single at the top of the post. Below the German one.

I must say I know each Shocking Blue song and "Rock in the Sea" (their 11th single A-side) has always been my favorite. When I was in a band (long ago, between 1977 and 1982), just before we disbanded, I was working on an adaptation of this song and it's a great regret not to have sung it. There's something very metaphysical in this song. These moments you'd like to leave your heavy human condition to become just a part of the nature. Not an ecological point of view but more a desperate one. Anything but something else would have said Baudelaire. You can find a good analysis of the songs that influenced the lyrics of of this song here. One could add the wonderful "Til I Die" from Brian Wilson in which he sang he is a cork on the ocean and a rock in a landslide. Musically, it's a thrilling tune and a perfect orchestration. Simple, direct, unmarked by the period it was composed. It could be a hit today. Maybe they should have stopped with this one. It was a moderate hit in NL but nowhere else. A shame. No video from this song, neither a TV show. So I decided to post a clip made by an amateur, based on a BBC documentary on eagles. It's quite impressive to see and music fits perfectly. The B-side, (streaming below) more US-rock flavored is also a good one and made of this single a perfect 7" to have (except for the poor sleeve cover of course). It seems that during the winter of 1972 (the single was released in August), Mariska Veres curled her hair again. I always thought this haircut was not appropriate but anyway.







I wish I was a bird in the sky I wish I was a bird in the sky Like a bird in the sky I stay high and dry I wish I was a bird in the sky I wish I was a bird in the sky I wish I was a mole in the ground I wish I was a mole in the ground Like a mole in the ground I'd root this mountain down I wish I was a mole in the ground I wish I was a mole in the ground I'm so glad I can sing I don't want furs and rings Only the beauty of nature Matters to me, yeah I wish I was a rock in the sea I wish I was a rock in the sea Like a rock in the sea Nothing could torture me I wish I was a rock in the sea I wish I was a rock in the sea I wish I was a rock in the sea I wish I was a rock in the sea



2 comments:

musicyoucan said...

Hello,
The link is dead. Can you re-upload it please ?
Thanks You
Regards

musicyoucan said...

Many Thanks for the re-upload
Cheers
musicyoucan