7/13/10

Al Kooper - Bury My Body / One Room Country Shack 7" (1969)



On summer, I usually listen to Dr John, Todd Rundgren, Leon Russell and Al Kooper. And this summer is no exception. Dr John and Al Kooper are back in my life and it's a consolation in these desolitary times (a neologism I assume) too hot to work (although I do). Here I post one of my fave songs of all times (written by Al Kooper and covered first by the Animals), the gospel-influenced (actually it's a gospel) "Bury my Body" (and the lyrics are the kind I find my taste) which was driven from the Kooper Session LP that he did with the young guitar genius Shuggie Otis, although only the first side of the album was good for me (long instrumental blues bore me to death most of the time). These 2 single-songs were from the 1st side and even the B-side is a gem so I'm not afraid to say that it is one of the best singles of all times (a complete chart failure and never mentioned in Al's discographies, even on his site although it has really been released). Since I didn't find the cover sleeve, I committed one again with a splendid Laurie Lipton drawing I find relevant to the lyrics. Enjoy this cemeterhymn here. And dance to it while your body can still do it. I'll ask to be bury with this song on an ipod in case my soul got ears after death.



Bury my body Lord, I don't care where they Bury my body Lord, I don't care where they Bury my body 'Cause my soul is gonna live With God, oh, oh, oh, yeah Lead me Jesus, lead me Why don't You lead me in the middle of the air? And if my wings should fail me Won't You provide me with another pair Please God I don't care where they Bury my body Lord, I don't care where they Bury my body 'Cause my soul is gonna live With God, oh, oh, oh, yeah I said alright You know it's alright It's alright, c'mon Bury my body Lord, I don't care where they Bury my body Lord, I don't care where they Bury my body 'Cause my soul is gonna live With God, oh, oh, oh, yeah
Lead me Jesus, lead me Why don't You lead me in the middle of the air And if my wings should fail me Won't You provide me with another pair Please God I don't care where they Bury my body
Lord, I don't care where they Bury my body Lord, I don't care where they Bury my body 'Cause my soul is gonna live With God I said hey, baby My soul, my soul, my soul Gonna live, live With God

tilidom.com

2 comments:

drjim said...

Yep, great song. Came out my junior year in High-School, and I *still* have that album somewhere.

Anonymous said...

The original of the song is actually by Chris Barber's Jazz Band, and came out in 1955.