8/8/10

Golden Earring - Stand By Me 7" (1972)



In the autum of 1972, the band releases this non album track on the A-side of a single, a strange choice since it sounds more as a filling than a standard (it was a minor hit in Nederland but their lowest place in 3 years). With a sort of mixed influence of the Rolling Stones / Alice Cooper / the Who/ Led Zeppelin (strangely more the style these ones will develop in 1975), it's not bad but a little laborious. There is also something of what will be "Highway To Hell". The B-side is much better since it is the opening track of the album Together, one of the best tracks of the whole (reason why I put it in streaming). About a scoptophilian, it is perfect for this blog there, in case you didn't know I also manage it. Enjoy this single here. Sorry no iconography from this period or too weak quality to be posted. It is paradoxical since the only time I saw the band live was during their tour with the Who this same year (and Rough Mix was with me, we were kids but as passionate of music as we are today, if someone had told me that 38 years later, I would write about them on a virtual paper that anyone in the world could read, and able to propose the songs free for listening, I would have surely not believed it).



tilidom.com

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't agree with a lot of your assessments but you have a very fine blog going, thanks

dk said...

Thx for leaving a comment but which kind of my assessments do you disagree with? You mean about Golden Earring or more largely?

Anonymous said...

I'm not the anonymous above and I agree with lots of your scribblings, but in this case I disagree.
"Stand by me" is no filler at all and not too far away from "Radar Love" soundwise and with an equal strong hookline.
"Radar Love" became a bit iconic over the years, maybe because it was the only huge worldwide hit of Golden Earring, but back then we didn't care that much.
"Radar love", especially the single version, was just another shuffly thing you could shake your long hair to and "Stand by me" was simply earlier and well known - at least here in Germany.
We always prefered listening to the long LP-version, where "Radar Love" sits neatly inbetween the other tracks and the highlight was "The Vanilla Queen" and not "Radar Love".

dk said...

All tastes are respectable. Yours are not mine that's all. Radar Love is totally classic and not because of its success. Kill Me is another one for me and has not been a huge hit. I think you see judging by the content of this blog that success of songs don't influence my preferences.

Anonymous said...

I didn't want to question your taste (or mine) or the classiness of "Radar Love".
I just wanted to tell you what me and my friends thought about "Radar Love" and "Stand by me" back then - but we were LP listeners anyway, as most of the rock fans were in the 70s, and "Radar Love" wasn't recorded to be a single, it works better with the long instrumental section that was edited out for the single.
Singles were something for the disco-fans, and we always hated it when a record company released a single of our favourite group. We hated it even more, when the B-Side was on the LP, so you had to pay twice for the same song if you had the money, which I hadn't. So I recorded them on reel-to-reel - the ancient way of sharing, I guess...
Thank you for this excellent blog!