11/16/14

Groundhogs - Hogwash Live (1972)

Another Groundhogs re-up. Not that I listen much to the band these days but as you know, I re-up according to requests, and "prince charly" asked me for this live set to be available again thus, although I'm not a royalist, I obeyed. He told me that I did a sort of audacious comparison between Groundhogs and Gang of Four in one post. Maybe it may seem a little bit outrageous, but I mean there was something common in their rough approach of rock. See by yourself here.

This tour was planned at the onset of winter 1972 to support the release of Hogwash, the 6th album of the band. But it was a changed band that the audience watched. First Ken Pustelnik, the original drummer, had been fired since he was really no more manageable due to a strong drug addiction, and then Tony McPhee had integrated more synth than ever in the band sound. A success, in musical terms, since he was able to conserve the rough edge of his style, but creating a great mix between blues and prog. Honestly, nobody reached such a level in quality when adding progressive in their initial style (except Strawbs maybe). So, this concert, recorded by the BBC, was quite different from the others you can find from the band in the 2 previous years. Less hard blues, more.... actually more Groundhogs. I chose to create a new cover sleeve since the official is totally inane (I used it to write the titles, that's all). My image choice is about the obession of McPhee at the time against hunters. And with a hog, it perfectly fits the thing. The title is justified by the fact that they play here 5 from the 8 Hogwash tracks. Enjoy it here. More Groundhogs to come soon, I'm in the mood for it (sad, angry and hunted).



tilidom.com


5 comments:

princecharly said...

Hi Cheers for the repost of the 1974 concert. Any chance of a repost of this one please?
The Gang of Four comparison really intrigued me!

princecharly said...

thank you

Happydays123 said...

Many thanks for the post!!

Mike said...

Fantastic. Can't wait to see if it'll DL. Became a GH fan again after seeing them at the Peel Sessions in London. Coulda been these same recordings. :) Haven't heard them since I lost my album collection in the mid 80's.

Nestor said...

ME TRAICIONO SINO AGRADEZCO ESTE POST, HAS TENIDO UNA TOTAL ENTREGA PARA CON TONY MCPHEE, LO MERECE, ES UN GRANDE ... MUCHAS GRACIAS POR TODO LO SUBIDO, UN ABRAZO, LOS SINGLES A SIDO UN TRABAJO ESPLENDIDO! FELICITACIONES POR TAN BUEN TRABAJO