3/29/15

John Lee Hooker - The "Lou Della" session (1958)



I re-up all the John Lee Hooker material I posted on FS. Here's the first Vee Jay session he recorded about which I tell all about below. Catch it here.

From 1955 to 1964, John Lee Hooker was mainly under contract with Vee Jay, although he recorded some sessions for other labels in the meantime. This partnership will bring him some success but his production will be uneven, Vee Jay often trying to make of him a follower of fashion, leading to some industrial disaster in the sixties. The relationship began with a little difficulty, as with this session, recorded on the 10th of June 1958 at Chicago, in which, for the first time, he recorded enough songs in a one session to make an LP, beginning with 2 intended hits ("I Love You Honey" (a cover and a quite bad result) and "You've Taken My Woman" (a not better original, miming more than being rock 'n roll)). After this bad preamble, John Lee did what he did best, play his raw and rough blues with a backing band that seemed to understand his idiosyncrasic conception of beat. These songs will be spread on various compilations years later (on House Rent Boogie and Travellin' for example). So here's is the album (I gave it the name of "Lou Della" cos' it's an occasion to honor women) that could have been at the end of 1958. The first album Vee Jay will release will be I'm John Lee Hooker in 1959, but only after John Lee Hooker will record a rural blues one for Riverside, due to a sudden interest by young white students for the roots of blues. Whether John Lee has played this old style for a white audience with pleasure or for money is a question that remained unanswered. The fact is that his true music at the time was what he recorded in this session, and appreciated mainly by a black audience. In the further ones for Vee Jay, it is not impossible that there was some kind of pressure for recording more commercial songs. And I'm quite proud of the cover sleeve I chose.



Below one of the many superb and forgotten Hooker's masterpieces: "Nightmare"

tilidom.com

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can you please fix the link.
it's dead...Thanks

dkelvin said...

That's done
Thx to have informed
dk

1shadok said...

This record seems great...I'd like to hear it if it's possible...but where is the link. Please. & Thanks.

Private Beach said...

Rapidshare is telling me "This file is marked as illegal". I've never seen that message on RS before. Any ideas?

dkelvin said...

No, never saw that. I've not been informed. I'll try to upload it under another name although this record doesn't exist, which is paradoxical
dk

Private Beach said...

OK now - thanks!