8/23/15

Kinks - Where Did My Spring Go / When I Turn off the Living Room Light fake 7 (1969)


Not strictly speaking requested but I see that this post was the most visited this week so I suppose the dead link frustrated some. Here it is again alive and functional. More about the songs below.

After the great failure of the Village Green Preservation Society album (click here to find the unissued complete version), the band has been asked to provide one song for each episode of a comic show (it seems it was a good one) names Where Was Spring? Ray Davies will write 5 songs "Where Did My Spring Go", "When I Turn off the Living Room Light", "We Are Two of a Kind", "Let's Take Off Our Clothes" and "Darling I Respect You". Only the first 2 will be released on record, first on the Great Lost Kinks Album and "Where Did My Spring Go" on the 3-CD version of the Village Green Preservation Society. The show was broadcasted between January February 1969. There were plans to release on LP the whole song setlist of the show but this has never seen the day of light. And Ray Davies apparently never wanted these rarities to be released. It's a shame since, judging by the only 2 available ones, it's quite certain it would have good songs. In particular "Where Did My Spring Go"is a great one that could have been a single A-side (however maybe not a hit in 1969). "When I Turn off the Living Room Light" raises some concern, not because of the song itself but because of the lyrics. The first verse is "who care if you are jewish and your breath smells of garlic", something that reminds the German entertainer in Cabaret the movie, but we would have liked to see the scene of the comic show it illustrated to understand this line, because in this state, it's quite disturbing. Hope someday Ray Davies will accept to release the whole 5 set on some support. .



Where did my spring go. Where did the spring go? Where did the trees go? Where did the sun go? Where did the bluebirds fly? Why did the rainbow turn into shadows? Why am I cold now? Why does my skin sag? Why ain't my back straight? Why do my feet ache? Where did my youth go? Where did my life go? Remember walking in the rain, And getting soaking wet, Now I got rheumatic pains, And I really do regret it. Where did my teeth go? Where did my muscles go? Where did my shoulders go? Where did my chest go? When you were loving me, You were just using me. You would employ me, You would destroy me. Now all I've got are varicose veins. Where did the spring go? Where did my hormones go? Where did my energy go? Where did my go go? Where did the pleasure go? Where did my hair go? Remember all those sleepless nights, Making love by candlelight, And every time you took my love, You were shortening my life. Where did my teeth go? Where did my hair go? Where did my shoulders go? Where did my chest go? Where did my hormones go? Where did my go go? Where did my energy go? Where did my skin go? Where did my muscles go? Where did my liver go? Where did my heart go? Where did my bones go?

tilidom file storage

2 comments:

chris said...

love the kinks! Great blog, added you to my blogroll, thanks!!

http://caferegios.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

This song reminds me of the song from the musical Hair--Where do I go:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzaQu2ULRc0