11/8/10

Van der Graaf Generator - Wondering / Meurglys III 7" (1976)



After their extraordinary comeback in 1975, after a 3 year gap and 3 albums in 2 years (each a masterpiece in its own, World Record, the last, being my fave), the first single of the band is released. It's true than it's one of the best composition of Peter Hammill (co-written by Hugh Banton, I suppose the "Strawberry Fields Forever" flavor of the intro is from him), a song full of pathos, that in other hands could have been totally ridiculous and pompous, but is in the VDGG's ones a moving, spine-shivering and tears-triggering song. On the B-side, there was the most intense and autobiographical song Hammill played with VDGG, 21 min long on the LP, only excerps on the single, but here in its complete version since it seems impossible not to listen to the full version. If there was anything equivalent to diaries in rock, it's in there. The band will stop soon after this single and will reborn with a different line-up, but this formation will always be the true one in our hearts and souls. Drown in it here. The cover sleeve is a representation of Lucifer by von Stuck. The pictures below (and back cover sleeve one too) are from a New York concert of the band in October 1976. Can see more here.



tilidom file storage

Wondering. I will arise: in the depths, I will open my eyes; as my breath almost fails me, survive. Wait - there's something unclear, there's something I fear now drawing close. Could it be you? Whose is that voice? Is it now time to make a choice? Ah - that irrational pain! This ridiculous brain now bursts with joy. Could it be me? Could it be now? Should I begin to take my vows? I will return:as I live, as I breathe, as I burn I swear I will come through, with my hands stretching out in the dark, with my eye pressed up tight to the glass, wondering if it's all been true. Wondering, wondering, wondering... Wondering if it's all ... wondering if it's all been true...











3 comments:

mani said...

In their triumphant 2005 reunion gig, & in the subsequent 4-piece tour, VdGG always concluded the encore(s) to their sets with Wondering...& Jaxon's final, keening, flute notes in these performances mirror the opening notes to The Undercover Man, with which they opened the sets - forming something of a perfect return.

dk said...

True. I saw them and heard it in Paris when they played there that year. But they don't come anymore here unfortunately.

terrypussypower said...

"Wondering"...one of Peter Hammill's best songs ever.