6/6/15

Patto - Roll' Em Smoke' Em Put Another Line Out (1972)



The second Patto re-up of the day (actually night). A really under-rated album. Never too late to rediscover it. Don't trust the usual negative critics this album received by second-rate rock journalists over the last decades. They're wrong. Judge by yourself here.

I repost this album cos' today I found it (at last) in a CD version. It's true that it seems less difficult to find it than it used to when I posted it first. But the important is that you can have it in good quality enough, so now it's in 320 kb taken from the CD. Here what I wrote about in in December 2010 when I posted it the first time. And I think it's a much better album that I wrote, my fave from this incredibly orginal and innovative band actually.

"This is the 3rd album by Patto, a band that should have deserved much more recognition that he got, and, for a reason I ignore, this album is not available in CD format for decades. You can find it at quite high price on some e.record sellers but any official reissue seems to have been ignored. It's true that it was considered a deception after the first two LPs (the self-called Patto and Hold Your Fire) but it's only because it's a strangely heteroclite album with so much genres in it that most were lost in a time where all bands had to install a very narrow universe to be popular. Not Patto, sometimes sounding like Joe Cocker, sometimes like a pre-SAHB, sometimes like the Beatles going funky, sometimes like Third World War, sometimes like the Kinks (actually Ray Davies borrowed a lot of things from this album to create his Preservation suite eg. the vocals on "Cap'n 'P' And the Attos"). All in all, today, this album can be considered as a great lost gem. I remind that the band was also known for an incredible guitarist called Ollie Halsall, who collaborated with Kevin Ayers all his career (he died in 1992), will be briefly in the band Tempest, and will rejoin again Mike Patto for the deceiving Boxer experience. Since I got neither the vinyl, neither the CD, I took this rip from a blog sometimes ago (forgot which one) and I regret that the quality is quite low (128 kb) but I got no better. It's enough to appreciate this great piece of music I think". I add that "Mummy" is surely the most disturbing thing i ever heard on a rock LP (the description of an incestuous relation).







7 comments:

Anonymous said...

ridiculously hard to find. i appreciate your sharing it and applaud you for liking it.

Anonymous said...

320 link is dead I'm afraid...

Anonymous said...

When you go on Rapidshare, it shows the filename and then shows the download button. However, when you click on the button, it says "File not found". It does have some strange looking characters in the filename though...

dkelvin said...

I'll reup tonight
dk

grifftrain said...

Thanks for putting this on here. I had never heard of this group till about a month ago when I got their debut album. (or self titled album, I assumed it was debut) and I loved it. So I cant wait to grab some more. Your site looks great to me as I love lost classics

Anonymous said...

great band, the j peel was nice. cannot download the other patto ??? thank you

Ernest said...

Un grand MERCI pour cette splendide découverte.
Amicales salutations de Suisse - Nenest