1/14/11

Free - My Brother Jake / Only My Soul (1971)



In March 1971, after the failure of Highway in the charts and a tour raising oppositions between Andy Fraser and Paul Rodgers while Paul Kossoff was slowly drowning in addiction (mandrax, heroine and alcohol it seems), the band was back in studio but after lying some new songs it was clear that the magic was over and that they had to split. Strangely, the destiny of a song "My Brother Jake" (surely a text about Paul Kossoff), would contribute to bring them back together some months later. Actually it reached n°4 in British charts in May 1971 and stayed there 2 weeks. It was backed with "Only My Soul", 2 songs that would only stay on singles and on various compilations. Difficult to say what would have been the album if they recorded one in March 1971 but it seems rock was progressively getting out of their mind. More to come. Enjoy it here on the single compilation.



My brother Jake. My brother Jake, hat, shades, head in a daze My brother Jake, have you thought about changin' your ways? He goes out, he don't have no doubt He don't have to know what the world's about My brother Jake, head, down, it's a scrapin' the ground Jake, stay away, you know you can't always be down He goes out, he don't have no doubt He don't have to know what the world's about I said Jake, now won't you wait What's got into you Your candle is burning, the wheels are turning What you gonna do? My brother Jake, won't you start again try makin' some friends Jake, it's not too late to start again by making amends He goes out, he don't have no doubt He don't have to know what the world's about I said Jake, now won't you wait What's gone wrong with you Your candle is burning, the wheels are turning What you gonna do? Hey, I said Jake, don't you wait What's gone wrong with you? Your candle is burning, the wheels of time are turning What you gonna do? Yeah I said Jake, Jake, Jake, won't you wait What's got into you - oh Your candle is burning, the wheels of time are turning What you gonna do? Listen, I'm gonna break you Jake Because you got what it takes To give a whole lotta people some soul

6 comments:

styreneboy said...

I'm not sure how, but I've only just discovered your very fine blog - nice work my friend. Also nice to find somebody else with a large Mark Perry obsession - there are only a handful of us! Rest assured I will return.

Nic said...

Seconding the "nice work" comment. Came here looking for Hammill stuff last night, and stayed for the eclectic mix of singles. Good stuff, added to my reader.

dk said...

Thx to both of you. Not enough Hammill rare material to post unfortunately. Too bad since it's one of my favorite artist.

Anonymous said...

My Bro Jake - a memorably perfect piece of pop.
I saw the Free on their debut tour, my mate's big bro was well connected and sent the tickets. By the time of the gig, ARN had hit and the queues went all down the round and around the corner.
They were very bluesy, with a large dose of folk added to the basic rock. Boys so full of self belief and optimism. We and they had a great, great night.
The genius of Kos - long gone but never forgotten.

Anonymous said...

Probably the best rock single ever. I cannot put into words how exhilarated this song makes me feel each time I hear it. Thank heavens for FREE!!!!!

David Nicholls said...

My favourite band of the decade, and a song I could never tire of hearing, long live rock and roll.