11/7/15

Melanie - Crazy Lady Lost LP (1979)



A very rare and therefore precious unreleased album that any Melanie's amateur should have heard and possessed. Details are provided below. Catch it here.

Last Autumn, Melanie lost Peter Schekeryk, her beloved husband, friend and producer for more than 40 years, and honestly it's surely one of the hardest thing she had to face in her life. Remembering how I took her in my arms at the end of an interview 5 years ago, and how it felt to have her so close to me some brief but eternal seconds, I would have liked to make my poor arms a small shelter for a pain but I'm sure she has her children to do that much better than I could have. After a long silence during which I was also unable to listen to anything by her, I bring back some forgotten songs and these are really forgotten since they were on an unissued LP recorded (it seems) in 1979 and which should have been released between Ballroom Streets in 1978 here and Arabesque in 1982 there. Listening to it, I realise it's a great waste that it was not released since there are enough good songs to make of this LP a great addition to her discography. I discovered this LP here where you can find a load of Melanie's stuff. There is not the work I did for the 90's albums i.e., to reorganize things according to the time it was recorded, but you have many albums in their raw versions. On this Crazy Lady (the name is derived from the 1st song and is not mine) Melanie sings divinely, often with a very low voice and I love it this way. The album doesn't suffer from the sound option of the period it was recorded since it is more roots (blues or rock, with some soul) than all the rest she will do in the years before and after. I don't know why it was not released (it is said they didn't pay the studio sessions but it would need to be confirmed). Most of the tracks will stay on this lost LP but some will survive such as the Stonesy "Roadburn" or the delicious "Take A Bath". I did an alternative cover sleeve with pictures I think were taken in the right period. Enjoy it and have a deep thought for her. Cos' we love her forever, don't we?

Yes my darling daughter. Mother may I go out dancing? Yes my darling daughter Mother may I try romancing? Yes my darling daughter What if there’s a moon mama darling And its shining on the water Mother must I keep on dancing? Yes my darling daughter Mama must I keep on dancing Keep on dancing? Yes my darling daughter Mama must I keep on dancing keep on dancing? Yes my darling daughter What if he’ll propose Mama darling As the night is growing shorter Mother must I keep on dancing? Yes my darling daughter Mama must I keep on dancing Keep on dancing? Yes my darling daughter Mama must I keep on dancing keep on dancing? Yes my darling daughter What if there’s a moon and it’s shining on Shining on the water Mother must I keep on dancing? Yes my darling daughter Mama must I keep on dancing Keep on dancing? Yes my darling daughter Mama must I keep on dancing keep on dancing? Yes my darling daughter What if he should insist on fond embrace, mama How’m I gonna keep him in his place? If his manner becomes a shade improper Tell him that your heart belongs to Papa Mama must I keep on dancing Keep on dancing? Yes my darling daughter Mama must I keep on dancing keep on dancing? Yes my darling daughter Mama must I keep on dancing keep on dancing? Yes my darling daughter?

7 comments:

Aadiahh said...

Hi

It could be possible we met somewhere in Belgium when you interviewed Melanie for CrossRoards. Is this you?
I am sorry I never got back to you. Emails have been lost and PC's and laptops have been broken.
Good to find Melanie's lost songs here.
Good to find you here.

dkelvin said...

Yes, it's me. A long interview I did in Ieper and published in Crossroads the next month. One of my most cherished "souvenir" and sure it quite changed my life in a way (too long to explain there). I created this blog partly to post forgotten LPs and songs from my fave singers and Melanie is surely one of them (maybe the one I'm most emotionnely attached). Remember clearly of you. Everyone was quite nice with me and I could talk to her for no less than 3 hours. Quite an awful thing she lost her beloved husband. I'm not sure how she is right now. Here's a place to make her candle shines on the net.
Happy to have read from you
Didier Kelvin

Harry said...

Thanks so much for these! I look forward to the high-quality versions of the 'forgotten' tracks from 'Ballroom Streets,' whenever you get around to re-uploading that one.

sammy said...

oh, our dear, dear Melanie
thank you so, so much for celebrating the magic of this very overlooked artist!
those who know her work, appreciate it so
she truly is a one of a kind!
;merci, beaucoup!

LT said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
LT said...

I've been helping myself quite freely of the music you've kindly shared on this blog, in particular the Melanie music--she is an artist I've long admired. Thank you so much for the considerable time and effort you've put into this blog, and for the music you've made available that otherwise would be so hard to find. Perhaps as an expression of my thanks I can invite you to download a performance by Melanie that is previously uncirculated? It is a soundboard recording with excellent sound in 320k mp3, from her performance in Hicksville, New York on August 1, 1997 and is said to also be her son's debut. Catch it here (if I may use your phrase), and please enjoy: https://www.mediafire.com/?1otljz9jc5a6pn5

dkelvin said...

Thanks (for the compliment and the Melanie live set that I dl now). Sure I'll put it on this blog one day.
dk