1/11/15

Melanie - Garden in the City (1972)



No real reason to re-up this LP except someone asked me to. But at the end of a day where people were like millions blades of grass in the streets of Paris, it's maybe not an irrelevant post. Catch it here.

It's a great pleasure to post this LP not in a-vinyl ripped version but after gathering the songs from various CDs that contained each a sample of this collection released by Buddha to cash on her when she left them to create a own label and release her first solo album under her own (the fantastic Gather Me). Impossible to overlook this LP since it contains many gems and is an important musical piece in any Melanie's collection. There are only 4 original tracks, others being covers, but I'm really fond of the treatment she prescribes to songs such as Dylan's Lay Lady Lay or the Stones' Jigsaw Puzzle. But actually I don't see any lowpoint here (I must be a fan). Several songs have an eastern flavor (eg. the splendid "Love in Mind"). And there's "People in the Front Row" and her incredible vocal challenge. This album has been issued with a smelly garden stick. So here's for you. In high sound quality (at least for MP3). Enjoy it here.



All sections written by Melanie Safka except "Lay Lady Lay" written by Bob Dylan, "We Don't Know Where We're Going" written by DeVorzon and Botkin Jnr, "Stop! I don't Wanna Here It" written by DeVorzon, Botkin Jnr and Safka, "Somebody Loves Me" written by Gershwin, DeSylva and MacDonald and "Jigsaw Puzzle" written by Mike Jagger and Keith Richards
People in the Front Row. I was out of love, and out of heart I couldn't quite stop something that I didn't startYeah yeah, the critics said "No"I didn't know how I came, so I couldn't go I was third on the bill of a second rate show The audience asked me what, but I didn't know Oh oh my predicament grew but now I got friends And I think that my friends are you, yeah.You know I looked around for faces I'd know I fell in love with the people in the front row My predicament grew but now I got friends And I think that my friends are you, yeah You can put me here and I'm all yours,Not for the money and it's not for the applause, no 'Cause after is nothing it's doing the song I don't have to hear a thing to know I've been grooved on These chords that I'm using are usually sad I had to use them, they're the best chords that I have Oh yeah, this progression is usually sad But it felt my sorrow and I wanted it to feel me glad, yeah.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Absolute brilliant job !, been trying to find these tracks separately without success to do the same, would love to know the cps you found them on, Love and Peace .

dkelvin said...

Thks and sorry cos' I don't remember where I found each of these tracks. They were spread in may low-cheap CDs and one day I ad them all. I'll try to post here where they were.
dk

Anonymous said...

Dear friend,

May God bless You and all the people you love. I have been looking for Melanie's Garden in the City for years...It was my favorite song when I was still a teenage (back in the 70's). I wish I could do you something in return.

with love,
pribadi from Indonesia

Anonymous said...

For the person wanting to know where to get the CDs to reconstituate this LP (don't remember where I got this info, so don't ask..):
'Although the album has never officially released on CD all tracks, with the exception of the full version of Somebody Loves Me have been made available on various compilations. To reconstruct the album you will need the following CDs: “The Best Of The Rest of Melanie”(We Don't Know Where We're Going, Jigsaw Puzzle, Don't You Wait By The Water, Love In Mind, People In The Front Row); “The Very Best Of Melanie” (Garden In The City, Lay Lady Lay, Somebody Loves Me(edited)); “Oldie Giants” (Stop! I Don't Wanna Hear It Anymore).'

Nick said...

Awesome blog! This is such a great (lost) album.

I really like what you’re doing. I’ve been doing this for year (but not blogging about it).

You might like my blog

http://thisyearinmusic.wordpress.com/

It’s pretty varied, but I’m definitely going to be checking this more regularly.

Keep up the good work!

Philippe Mottet said...

Can you re-upload "Garden in the city" ?
I really would like to have it
Thanks a lot for the great work!

Philippe Mottet said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Philippe Mottet said...

Please?

dkelvin said...

What do you mean by please?
dk

dkelvin said...

What do you mean by please?
dk

Philippe Mottet said...

Can you re-upload "Garden in the city" ?
I really would like to have it
Thanks a lot for the great work!

dkelvin said...

It has been re-up on M (first link)
dk

Philippe Mottet said...

I'm sorry I can't find M. Or maybe I don't understand
Thank you

Philippe Mottet said...

Got It!
Thanks a lot!

Harry said...

As always, many thanks!

Anonymous said...

Is it possible to make a lossless copy of this great album?

Santoz Roth said...

Wow what a great album, listening to People on the Front Row on repeat. Discovered it from a sample by an Aussie hip-hop band (Nosebleed section - Hilltop Hoods) then Youtube for Melanie's version. Lay Down (Candles in the rain) was my next discovery, specially the verion with the Ed Hawkins singers. Sadly her husband sold the rights/royalties to all her songs. Thank you for posting!