5/22/15

Melanie - Prematurely Grey (1987-93)



A re-up of the (again) fake do-it-myself LP (details about the content below). Although this is an uneven period for Melanie, there's a lot to like in it. It deserved to be available again. Catch it here.

Here a strange idea I got. Gather on a same (fake) LP all the songs Melanie released between 1987 and 1993, a (difficult) period during which she released albums in a total anarchy on all plans. One year an album was released in one country only (such as the so-called Dutch album) and the year after another one in another country with some similar songs completed with re-works of old songs. So, the discography during this 7 year-gap is a headache. Moreover, the content was surely the worst she ever did, with a clear sacrifice to the sounds of the times (hard times for music lovers), and never Melanie sounded so ROR or AOR than on these songs. Some of them were re-worked later in much better versions (such as "On the Lam from the Law" onLow Country). Fortunately, there are some gems on it, and in particular the eponymous title, "Prematurely Grey", one of her highlight (and the 1st version of the song that she would record) and that shares none of the sound scories of the rest. Actually, I'm unfair with the last of these records, Silence Is King, released in 1993, which is far better than the previous ones, and shows her renaissance. But since it contains only 6 original songs and includes songs from Cowabanga, I thought I had to put it in. I have not included the re-worked versions of old songs. This will be for another compilation called Beautiful Reworks(although they are not all beautiful). I think it's not pleasant to listen in the same session to these attempts to modernize old songs (and this modernisation sounds oddly dated now) and real new compositions. I have included covers of songs that she had never sung previously (such as Dylan "Hard Rain" although it's quite bad) cos' they can be considered as new songs (am I clear? Actually most of you have surely stopped to read and began to dl). So, if you're in Melanie (don't take this for words of course), you can't avoid to feel interested to have these songs in your collection. And here, they are provided in a correct way I think. I even think my cover sleeve (with a picture I think is from 1987) is much better than the rather ugly ones of the real albums. More to come from this beloved artist. Below some clips from this era. You can see that she was not really in her element. Moreover, you can see her physical transformation between 1986 and 1993.


Prematurely Grey. Too quick to smile And to easy to cry The first to say hello And the last to say goodbye A sucker for adventure A fool for the truth And I'm prematurely grey Absolutely blue Yes I'm prematurely grey Absolutely blue Too late to come And the last to go The first one to believe And the last to know A sucker for religion And all that is true And I'm prematurely grey Absolutely blue Yes I'm prematurely grey Absolutely blue A sucker for adventure A fool for the truth And I'm prematurely grey Absolutely blue Yes I'm prematurely grey Absolutely blue Yes I'm prematurely grey Absolutely blue



No comments: