4/5/15

Melanie - Live in Belgium (1995)


From time to time, according to requests, I'll re-up all Melanie stuff. Here a great Live set recorded in Belgium during her artistic and public re-born period. Catch it here.

This is one of my fave testimony of Melanie playing live. First because the playing is tight and sober, maybe the presence of a second guitar player (don't know who, I put the picture of one of them below, maybe I've the chance that it's him) is for something in this, but also the presence of her 2 daughters on backing vocals. Second for the playlist, really different from most of the live sets recorded on albums. Rare to hear songs such as "Summer of Love" "Good Book" or "Something Warm" live, and even covers such as "Estate Sale", "Purple Haze" (fantastic version), "Silence Is King" (superb), "Arrow" or "These Nights" are rarely heard on stage, or at least have rarely been included in live set released on LPs. Even the unavoidable hits are provided with a supplement of soul here, just like if she was singing them for the first time. A good night actually. This concert has been released on a low-cost and cheaply wrapped double CD compilation called Her Greatest Hits Live and New, with an awful cover sleeve (it was the second CD, the first being primary Silver Anniversary extracts). Here it is in a more respectful situation, as a real live LP (and I think a correct sleeve). On the LP, they say this concert was recorded un 1992 but on a well-informed site (here) it is said that it is more likely to be 1995, so I considered this last date the good one. 

Silence is King. She tests every word like a fine wine She holds every thought like her last dime You could hear a pin drop from miles away You could hear a heart stop as plain as day We live in land where silence is king whispers have all disappeared Cry for an echo you won't hear a thing Silence is king around here Silence is king around here Where are the dreams we were after Where is the joy and the laughter Were they only habits we were doomed to lose Or is destiny not ours to choose We live in world where silence is king whispers have all disappeared Cry for an echo you won't hear a thing Silence is king around here Silence is king around here Desperate measures come from desperate times I don't regret what I have done If my actions make you speak your mind Angry words are better than none We live in world where silence is king whispers have all disappeared Cry for an echo you won't hear a thing Silence is king around here We live in land where silence is king whispers have all disappeared Cry for an echo you won't hear a thing Silence is king around here Silence is king around here



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a shame to put a first comment asking for a re-up but for sure I'd love to hear this LIVE LP from Melanie.

All the best, and thanks for sharing,

Derek from Paris

dkelvin said...

No problem for asking. It helps me cos' I don't really know which files were on mf so I can re-up progressively. I'll do it tonight
dk

Anonymous said...

HI,My goodness what a lovely blog, full of forgotten gems from my youth, is there any chance or a re up on the older Melanie posts ? from this one down they seem to have rapidshare links
I kind of lost touch with Melanie in the 80s, it is great to find releases I never knew existed, thanks Paul

Harry said...

Thanks so much! I eagerly await the rest of her work, whenever you have the time.