8/25/16

Strawbs - In Concert at the Lyceum (1970)



Quite a long time I did not show interest for Strawbs, but the re-up request of this album gives me the opportunity to feed the blog with something from them (they are still active actually, often in their accoustics trio line-up). Catch this interesting document here. More details below in the initial post.

This concert has probably been recorded in July 1970, some days prior to the Queen Elizabeth Hall one that gave the Antiques & Curios LP. Didn't find the precise day. Think it was before Roy Harper. What's important is that it is almost better than the QEH set, and features more songs on the record. What's better is the sound (the bass and percussions are less prominent and they were a little cheapy I think) and the versions are tighter and more focus than some days later. It's also much better than the concert recorded 1 year later (here) with a laid back and prog attitude that didn't fit what I love the best in this band. This set has been released in 2006 under the name of Recollection with a rather dull picture sleeve that I changed. A little more from this band I cherish more and more with age. 






6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great blog with excellent music - and that's coming from a professional journeyman musician with thirty five plus years on the road.
Thanks.....

dk said...

Thx a lot for this nice comment. I do my best. I'm a music amateur for more than 35 years too so I try to put this long time in a decent blog.
dk

Anonymous said...

Can you re-up? Many thanks.

kingpossum said...

Hearty thanks for the Strawbs post, in advance of listening. Though I'm a 35+ year listener too I've never known anything about the Strawbs beyond their name and the classic Deep Cuts cover art.

aking said...

Hi,
Your blog is great! Please can you re-up Str... Live At Sight & Sound and Live At The Calderone?
Merci beaucoup!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the re-up.