8/1/11

Jethro Tull - Living In The Past / Driving Song (1969)



Recorded during the Stand Up sessions, this song was kept for a single release and was a hit in UK (n°3 in May 1969, the highest chart position for a single that the band will have in this country). Contrary to many Tull fans (but I don't consider myself a Tull fan as I am for Strawbs or Melanie), I am not fond of this song. The melody is rather easy to sing in the bathroom but maybe too poppy for me. And lyrics are a bit a concern with their apparent critics about people manifesting against war (although I'm not totally sure that my interpretation is good but honestly I think this is what Anderson says). He'll write much more interesting lyrics in his life. The forgotten song here is the B-side, a song that could have been on the first Tull's LP with its rooty blues feeling. One of the last time the band will go on these lands. Interestingly, there are some TV testimonies of this song. Two from the French TV, shot at some months intervals it seems. Enjoy this 7" here.




Living in the past. Happy and I'm smiling,walk a mile to drink your water. You know I'd love to love you, and above you there's no other. We'll go walking out while others shout of war's disaster. Oh, we won't give in, let's go living in the past.Once I used to join in every boy and girl was my friend. Now there's revolution, but they don't know what they're fighting. Let us close out eyes; outside their lives go on much faster. Oh, we won't give in, we'll keep living in the past.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think this is just another love song, cleverly avoiding the usual standard formula. A young man tells his girl not to go along with the crowd (you had to have group sex and go demonstrating in those days to be "modern"), but rather to stay alone with him, cosy and warm, and not to think what future might bring.
The song is clever in another way, and it did the trick on you: this is one of the very few songs in 5/4 time that made it in the charts and nevertheless can be sung by everone including you.
I always loved the sight when people tried to dance to it, not knowing it had a beat too much.

Anonymous said...

Dead MF link