4/2/16

Mandy Morton Band - Valley of Light (1983)



I received messages to ask me if I could re-up the rest of Mandy Morton material and I'm rather happy to see she's not being totally forgotten. So here unfortunately (to my knowledge) the last album she released before entering the radio world and have her own show. Below I give details about this rather deceiving album but a necessary addition for everyone who loves this great artist. I'll re-up the Spriguns stuff on the further days. Meanwhile catch this swansong LP here.

I won't hide that after the fabulous Magic Lady (there) and the great Sea Of Storms (here), Valley of Light is quite a deception. Don't really know what Mandy Morton wanted to do there, but it seems she tried to be a mainstream ROR adult rock icon and it was a failure. The band is totally new but plays rather dully and arrangements are often terrible (these ugly moogs and synthetisers that ruin several songs), although Mike Kemp is the official engineer. More dramatic, Mandy doesn't sing with this particular and unchallenging charm she had on her previous offerings. Listen to her vocals on the pseudo-rocker "No Reason" and you'll doubt it's the same artist than on Magic Lady. Even the cover of Grace Slick's "Somebody to Love" is bad. But, however, it's Mandy Morton and impossible not to find some pleasure in this album. Some songs have some inner quality such as "Time Machine" (except the awful moog solo on the final) or "Chosen Few", the only track reaching the level of her previous work, and it's a shame all the LP was not all this good. A mention to the final song, "Born Natural", with something of Steve Harley era Timeless Flight in its arrangements (and something of "Celluloid Heroes" of the Kinks in the melody of it's closing). No picture of her from this period so I don't put any. This was her last recording (at least released). Not really surprising if you remember the environmental musical landscape in the 80's. Sad but that's it.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

bbbb

Anonymous said...

hello, enjoy your site, sahb, alternative tv. unfortunately links for time will pass and valley of light won't work - mandy Morton. please fix thank you r. keith

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this. I, too, had trouble with the links, but they worked fine if you use the Opera browser recommended by Mega.

dkelvin said...

Don't understand why all the links work so well with any browser from the various computers I connect (without any identification) and that there are so many of you who got problems. One of the many net mysteries.
dk

Jinx said...

Thanks for all this Mandy Morton stuff on your site. I've just gotten into her thanks solely to you. Having downloaded and listened to one album, I've done the same with the others but this particularly album is causing Mega to post a 'File No Longer available' message.

Any chance of a re-up please?

Thanks

Jinx

dkelvin said...

Unfortunately, Mega deleted the file and sent me a message in which they informed that in case of another complaint, they will delete all my stored files. I really can't explain why such an obscure record was the target of a complaint but that's it. If you write to me directly didierkelvin@gmail.com, I can sent it to you.
dk