10/8/13

Family - Live Anyway fake LP (1970)



I hadn't noticed that the link to this fake live LP consisting of the 1st side of Anyway with 2 live versions of the studio side of the same LP, has been lost with my mf file account removal. So I re-up it on rs. One visitor has informed me that the 2 live songs I added were surely recorded in 1971 and not during the tour Anyway live songs were recorded. Too bad but I leave it this way since it makes quite a great LP to listen to. All this is so far in the past now that some month distance is of no more importance. But it's a fact I would have preferred to find live versions recorded during the same tour that the Anyway live side. Below what I wrote in the initial post with the new link.

Fake but not impossible this is the way this album should have been released in November 1970. Actually, the band had planned to release a double live LP but seems not to have enough material of good quality to do it. So, for their 4th album, they decide to do what's the worst, an hybrid LP with a live side and a studio one. Don't have any souvenir that such an album was a success in terms of homogeneity (remember Cactus Ot 'n' Sweaty for example). Three years ago BGO released on double CDs Anyway and A Song For Me. On the Anyway CD, there were 3 live bonus tracks, 2 of them that could have been from the Fairfield Halls set that gave the Anyway live side. Not sure but since these songs were on the studio side, I take the risk to conclude that a Live Anyway could have consisted of these 6 songs. Not that live "Part of the Load" and "Lives and Ladies" are totally convincing, being somewhere between long Canned Heat jams and long Traffic improvisations, but they would have provided a more consistent LP after all. For the cover sleeves, I created a sort of demarked Anyway cover with the same Da Vinci drawing. The pictures (on the back sleeve and below) are ones of the band in the correct period since they tended to change quite often of personal during their career. I'll post all their singles later on this blog. Stay vigilant if you'd like to discover them, there's much to savour. Enjoy this Live Anyway here, there are "Good News -Bad News" and "Strange Band", 2 of the strongest songs, not only from Family but from the whole Seventies.








4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your point of view about album's structure. I have a reissue on the label Line with 2 titles "seasons" & "in my own time" not indicate as bonus.
I see another reissue (Essential/Castle ESM CD 615) with 3 other titles as bonus.
About the 2 titles than you supose be live at Croydon I think they are same (in better sound) than those on the BBC Radio Volume 2 and registred in march 71.
I can make an error but it's a very great group.
Thank for your work with all this marvellous scans.
Salutations from France.

Anonymous said...

This link has expired I'm afraid...

Private Beach said...

There seem to be several different versions of the Anyway album - according to Wikipedia, the American edition included the single "In My Own Time".

Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot for the re-up !