2/7/15

The Only Ones - Oh Lucinda (Love Becomes A Habit) / The Big Sleep Fake Single (1979)



Last but not least, this single that could have been from the session they recorded with Martin Hannett. Baby's Got A Gun would have surely been a much better album with him. Here are the only surviving testimonies of their common work. More details below. Catch it here.

In 1979, the Only Ones are on a slipping ground, more and more digging their band's grave in drugs. And CBS becomes quite embarassed with this band they don't know how to manage and how to sell. For their 3rd album, they ask that the band choose a producer. Their choice is for Martin Hannett, the famous mancunian producer of Joy Division. But the only session they would do together at the Advision studios will only result in 2 songs later on their Baby's Got A Gun album (produced by the more mainstream Colin Thurston). In the Nina Antonia biography of the band, it's clear that the day was first used for other occupations than music, specially for Peter Perrett, John Perry and Martin Hannett. So, here are these 2 songs, and if the "Lucinda "version is rather weak (but still has some commercial appeal), "The Big Sleep" version, maybe the greatest and most moving song from all the songs the Only Ones created, is not far to reach the live version on the BBC session, and the great album version too. Actually, the 3 are to possess cos' they show how a great song can provide complementay emotions when played by a great band. For the cover sleeve of this fake single, I chose a Zen Sen picture, this photograph (Polish I think) being maybe one of those who provide the imagery the most relevant to the Peter Perrett's universe. More on him on Scoptophilia here. PS. Interesting to watch how the junkie habit begins to be clear on the Perry's and Perrett's faces on the picture below.



Take the crutch away from you And watch you fall down It's a shame about a girl like you Always falling down (Aha) I see the way you're looking It's a silent rhapsody (Aha) I know there's something cooking I know I seen that film before The end is so predictable You gotta learn to live again That's the final twist I really hate to see my friend Cease to exist (Aha) The enemy we're fighting He's inside of you and me (Aha) Please stop crying I know you used to smile before I know it's not impossible You took my picture off your wall Oh Lucinda (you're funny, you're so funny) Only tried to tell you You're heading for a fall Oh Lucinda (Aha) It's good to see you winning I always did have faith in you (Aha) The end is the beginning I know, I've seen it in the war (Aha) Get to your battle-stations It's a crime against our nation Get to your battle-stations It's a crime against our nation Love becomes a habit If you see it, you gotta grab it You gotta grab it Grab it



You woke me from a big sleep You taught me how to think cheap You woke me from a big sleep When you kissed me... oooohh On the cheek I don't ever wanna sleep again Now that I've found love I don't ever wanna sleep again Now that I've found love (I've found love) As soon as someone showed me There's no such thing as glory Changed my life completely Now it's a whole different story I don't ever wanna sleep again Now that I've found love I don't ever wanna sleep again Now that I've found real love Oh in case you're wondering if I been struck dumb I'm cold inside and my heart is numb In case you're wondering if it's too late I won't hibernate, whoah woohoo na na na na I don't have the strength to break an empty shell And I surely don't have the strength to mend it Well, I don't ever wanna sleep again Now that I've found love I don't ever wanna sleep again Now that I've found love

1 comment:

geololo said...

One more great single ! Nice to see how the great cover art fits perfectly the music and the band.