1/12/12

Family - My Friend The Sun / Glove 7" (1973)



I won't hide that "My Friend The Sun" is surely my fave Family song, and one of the songs that yields shivers and tears the most easily in me. With its Ronnie Lane's Faces mood, its one of the greatest folk song ever written and Roger Chapman sings it with an unrreal "delicatesse". Strange release actually since in January 1973, the band was no more the same than during the recording of this song, Poli Palmer and John Wetton having quitted for other horizons and Jim Gregan and Tony Ashton being in. Sad it was not a hit but surely the era was not appropriate for such a delicate and melancholic song that reaches the standards of the best Ray Davies, Macca or Brian Wilson ones. When you think that "Glove" is also a masterpiece, you can bet this single is one of the greatest ever released. Enjoy it here. The cover sleeve's definition is not very good but I didn't find better one and I don't have the single.



Well, I know that you're lonely, come in from the cold
Your shoes they need mending, your clothes they look old
Won't you pick up your pieces, it's never too late
Though it's never early to make a mistake
As soon as you wake
Although there's been rain and it's coming again
Change has to be here obviously
Though my friend the sun looks well on the run
He's there in the distance if you care to see
Well, I know that you're waiting, come out from your shell
There'll come a time you'll remember it well
When you take all the good times from chances you've had
Chances you've made and what you've learnt from the bad
It's never so sad
Although there's been rain and it's coming again
Change has to be here obviously
Though my friend the sun looks well on the run
He's there in the distance if you care to see - see
If the season were reason, then there'd be no doubt
A sequel of changes worth putting you out
But on the question of whether you heard a lie
Answer yourself looking straight in his eyes
Don't you realize
Although there's been rain and it's coming again
Change has to be here obviously
Though my friend the sun looks well on the run
He's there in the distance if you care to see - see

2 comments:

billy said...

i was really surprised when i checked up to find out that thi wasn't a hit,it got plenty of airplay and even i bought it at a time when i just bought albums-i liked most things they did and they covered a range of styles including there own very unique one

Anonymous said...

A very good choice.

I have only really got into Family's music in recent times, although I have been aware of them for much longer. Like Billy, I like most of their work, but this particular song is one of my favourites. 'Charlie' Whitney's writing ability often seems to be forgotten with the the frontman Roger Chapman more often getting most of the credit.

Tony J