1/2/15

Peter Perrett & The One - Woke Up Sticky EP (1996)



Why re-up this EP? Why not? There's never any real reason to re-up any Peter Perrett record. I hope he's well and this is a way to wish him a productive and exciting year. More on this EP below. Catch it here.

At the onset on June 1996, this wonderful EP hits the stores and tears our hearts. At last Peter Perrett was officially with us again. When you listen to this 4-song collection, you take the measure of what a songwriter this guy actually is. If I doubt "Woke Up Sticky" was a good choice for an A-side (I'll post later a fake single with what I consider the song that could have been the "Another Girl Another Planet" of the The One), it's hard not to find that to have 3 non-LP songs of such quality than "Transfixed", "Wildlife" (nothing less that one of the greatest song ever written by Peter Perrett) and "Dead Love Syndrome" is exceptional. But it's true that the perspective to do a hit with a song in which the chorus says "Woke up sticky / Must have been dreamin' of you" was tempting. Unfortunately, the single (and the EP) was not a hit, and I think it was not a good news for the possibility of a long-term come-back of our hero. But now that more than 15 years are over, it's a cult one. And maybe, if this blog still floats in the virtual ocean in many years from here, even after I'm dead and gone, one will read this and still consider it's a history classic. Enjoy it here. You can learn more on this EP here. Below I also put "Wildlife" in streaming, just for this song to be heard by the most of visitors. Just click and tell me if you ever heard a more elegant vocal melody.






Noddin' Out, white light
Shadowy figures approach with the night
Strange hands carry me away
I resist in a catatonic way
You were sweet, no doubt
I fell asleep, you melted in my mouth
No point tryin' to hide the stain
I woke up, went back to sleep again
Woke up sticky
Must have been dreamin' of you
Woke up sticky
Don't know where I've been or who I've been through
They went and put the light on me
They examined every part of me
They put the light on me
They examined every part of me
More speed, less haste
I repeat myself 'til I'm blue in the face
I came down in a meteoric shower
The speed of sound turns decades into hours
Out of place, out of time
I return interior re-designed
They got me up against the wall
Maybe it's best not to wake up at all
Woke up sticky
Must have been dreamin' of you
Woke up sticky
Don't know where I've been or who I've been through
They went and put the light on me
They examined every part of me
They put the light on me
They examined every part of me

The predatory approach to love
Is something you must rise above
Your trampled victim's had enough
But given time they should recover from you
You like to leave your mark
In the wildlife park
I never, I never would've known
I never, I never would've known
Please deliver it to me
The priceless gift of harmony
I can't explain to you
Why I couldn't have gone without you
Why delay the truth?
It only causes me to doubt you, baby
You like to leave your mark
In the wildlife park
I never, I never would've known
I never, I never would've known
Please deliver it to me
The priceless gift of harmony

1 comment:

kevin said...

I've only just come across this guy. Truly an underrated singer/song writer/guitarist