2/18/12

Black Skies - On The Wings Of Time (2012)



When I heard for the first time the Black Skies (thx to Droning Earth, surely my favorite music blog on the net), I would have sworn that it was the come-back band of my hero: Joaquim Breuer from the Bastards and Janitor Joe. But no. They don't even cite them as influences but honestly it would be surprising that they are not fans. I am quite embarassed cos' I've said at least 3 times since the beginning of the year that I had found one album that will be in my top 10 of the year. Embarassed cos' if I think that one will actually still be in at the end of the year, this will be this one. In the last 20 years, I've never heard music fitting more perfectly what I'm waiting of rock. Cos' here it's rock, but as I said before, not this nostalgic shit they want to make us adopt for contempory genius, boring repetitive gimmicks of the seventies. No, based on the best of what rock offered in the nineties (Bastards and Janitor Joe but also Unsane or Liquor Tricks, see the correspondant posts on the right column) with some of the best that Stoner brought (a little psychedelic touch in the guitar solos), there is not a single weak second in this killer record. It's simply a masterpiece from beginning to end. At least for my own tastes. The second voice assured by the bassgirl (Michelle Temple) gives this little bit of female soul that avoid any testosterone overdose. I could write about this album during hours. They are from Chapel Hill (North Carolina), and I hope they'll jump over the Atlantic to play here in old Europe before we'll sink in our bankrupt. Meanwhile, enjoy it here, and then go immediately buy the solid stuff on their bandcamp there (I did it of course). It's not an advice, it's an order.









No comments: