3/17/15

Leon Russell - Live at the Fillmore East (1970)



Re-up on request. Happy to see that this underrated artist is still appreciated. New link to this great live set here. PS. It seems I was wrong. It was Elton John who opened for Leon Russell. It's true that it was more logical in 1970 and I should have known. Thanks to the visitor (see comment) to have corrected.

This concert was recorded before the Elton John's one at the Fillmore East. John was a great fan of Leon Russell and logically invited him to open his shows. When comparing this concert to the one recorded, 3 years later, for Leon Live (here), similarities and differences are striking. Similiraties since it's the gospel-that-rocks that all Leon's admirers love to hear, but differences since the set was more sober and tighter that the quite indulgent later ones. I doubt any Dr John - Elton John or any-John-you-want won't be enthusiasts in listening to such a great performance. Nothing better to listen to when you're down and out. It makes you imagine life's worth the living. Measure the miracle. Note that this set was never released officially but that the sound is very good. It's in one part only and I don't have the patience to cut it in songs but I doubt that anyone wants to listen to songs separately. I tried to do a correct cover sleeve. I admit I used a "Best of" to create it. Below, the concert in streaming.




8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually back then it was the other way around. John opened for Leon, here and in Anaheim too. Leon came on stage during John's set and did a guitar solo as well.
http://www.preservemusic.org

Anonymous said...

link dead..a re-up wud be fantastic for this great show!!! thanx

dkelvin said...

Reup. Opportunity to put this concert on the front again.
dk

Anonymous said...

Thanx from Texas for ur promptness! all these leons r great. the fillmore was my 3rd bootleg purchase,great white wonder, jimi hendrix live at the forum, and leon. the sound on this link is xcellent and puts the vinyl to shame..i have not heard this since 1970. we had seen leon/claudia,kathi etc in austin tx the 1st week of sept 70. and then saw him for yrs thereafter. but these all have great sound and the spirit of those concerts.and the kqed dvd is just fabulous as we can see the gorgeous claudia/kathi/ Austin’s Guacamole Queen big rikke,.thanx so much

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for your postings. I had never heard the 1970 Fillmore East show with Leon. I own the Leon Live CD & Elton's show with Leon at the Fillmore East..but this was a real treat. I'm a major Leon fan...loved his cover of Girl from North Country. The last link, however, for Live in Houston is not working for me. Would love to DL that one too if you can check & or repost the link. You are appreciated!!! BTW, going to see this great performer again tomorrow night for a measly $25.00...he is so, underappreciated! clongdon5989@att.net

Mike said...

Your write-up is so tempting. I love Leon and find myself living just a few blocks north of where the Fillmore East was in NYC. Is it too much to ask for a re-up on this one, the band, the era and the set-list are the stuff of musical dreams. Thanks if ye can.

Mike said...

Hey thanks a million for the re-up. Can't wait to listen to this. Thanks for still being there also. Happiness and Peace.

Anonymous said...

Late arrival to your blog but what a fantastic place and thank you so much. Due to my DoB, I'm an original Leon fan but lost touch after 'Carney' if I'm honest. Went to see him at The Jazz Café here in London a while back and got hooked again. The last two weeks I've been catching up (Guitar Blues/Angel in Disguise)so this is a wonderful treat. Many, many thanks indeed.