3/18/15

Leon Russell - Live in Houston (1971)



Last of Leon Russell re-ups for tonight. Enjoy. Here.

A reup (one of my uncountable deleted mf files), so I repost. Thx to the visitor for telling me the link was dead. Strange so few among you leave such messages. I don't even ask you to write something kind (you surely suppose I win a lot of money doing that, and you're wrong), just to tell the link is not leading to nowhere.Below what I wrote in the original post more than 1 year ago.

Among the 4 Leon Russell shows I'll post on this blog, the first (chronologically) in 1970 when he shared the set with Elton John, the third in 1972, the shows that will make the Leon Live content, and the fourth in Japan recorded in 1973, this one is the second, and is, although the weakest on the sound level, my favorite. Less gospel oriented and much rockier (with "Roll Over Beethoven" and "Jumpin' Jack Flash", you aren't surprised), Leon Russell is just at the top of his art, still not too much in confidence and over-indulgent (although I love all his live recordings of this period, don't misunderstand me). But honestly, the last medley of this recording (released for the first time on the CD issue of Live in Japan as bonus tracks) is simply stunning and shows how Russell could be a sort of screaming guru putting in transe his adepts (in streaming below, put the furnitures off). But enough words, savor this last offer of the bearded master.

Hung up in a Pennsylvania mining town
Got down to Boston in time for tea
Don't know exactly just what's going down
Better hang around until I see.
She uses beauty like a knife
She cuts me even more, she changes
Right before my eyes into something ugly and sore.
Beauty like a knife
She cuts me even more, she changes
Right before my eyes into something strange and more.
Don't bomb the inn, I'm on a holiday
But Oklahoma's just a jet away
And the blood is on the books in Ohio
So badly stained, what can I say?



8 comments:

nolan voyd said...

Thanks for all the marvelous posts! Alas, no link for this one?

Anonymous said...

Hmmm... April 1971.....damn

dkelvin said...

Link added.
dk

Anonymous said...

Hi DK,

I was able to download the live in Japan show but the one I really would like to listen to is the Houston 1971 show. Will you be so kind to repost? The link says file not found. Thanks!!

Don

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the Leon links! Any chance of reposting Live in Houston?

dkelvin said...

The link works. I checked it tonight and it works
dk

UTmomma said...

I was at this fantastic show. My first rock concert. I was 13 and in awe.

UTmomma said...

I was at this fantastic show. My first rock concert. I was 13 and in awe.