3/15/12

Mott The Hoople - Midnight Lady / The Debt 7" (1971)


After the commercial failure of Wildlife, and during sessions for a putative but unreleased AC/DC LP (see a previous post), the band finds that it would be a good idea to record with the famous producer Shadow Morton and notably a song aimed at being a hit. It would be a miss and, in Spring 1971, the single will faded unnoticed. It's true that it's far from being one of their best. On the B-side, a wonderful Hunter's ballad ("The Debt") that has been added in the AC/DC re-created LP. The cover sleeve was awful, the kind we were used to between 1970 and 1972. Enjoy this forgotten 7" here.



There goes happiness Down that stream Pick me up, put me down again Just when I was on my feet I get stoned every day My best friends, they both went away It's a debt And I've got to face it alone Been a long long time now Been a long time high Making up promises that went While I'm in the sky Ain’t a clue, not a trace I see her all over my face It's a debt I've got to face it alone
And in my sleep, my troubled mind Won't let go leave the past behind It's a drag, so it seems I must live my life in dreams I must laugh while the other man weans Guess it's the season Brings a man down All my fingers are stuck on my toes And my feet are off the ground Yesterday the world went away I can't seem to find the strength to play It's a debt I've got to face it alone
And in my sleep my troubled mind Won't let go leave the past behind It's a drag, so it seems I must live my life in dreams I must laugh while the other man weans Guess it's the season Brings a man down All my fingers are stuck on my toes And my feet are off the ground Yesterday the world went away I can't seem to find the strength to play It's a debt I've got to face it alone It's a debt I've got to face it alone

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I read that Midnight Lady started taking off until MTH was on Top of the Pops, for the first time, and then disappeared. I saw that the band joked only MTH could pull that off. The tune did have a Stone's feel as the band was a great fan of the Rolling Stones.