4/28/12

Ronnie Lane & Slim Chance - The Poacher / (Bye and Bye) Gonna See The Kings 7" (1974)

In May 1974, a second single from Ronnie Lane and his band Slim Chance (in which Gallagher & Lyle had been replaced after they went to form an eponymous duo) is issued. A-side is one of the most delicate and elegant pop song ever released, but unfortunately it will fail to reach summons in the charts for a reason I ignore. Lyrics may seem old-hippie style (but Ray Davies' were not different at the time) but what remains is this extraordinary clarinet (English call it French clarinet), this subtile violin subtitles and this aerial melody. The kind of aeternal pop sweety tune that will put some joy in future generations minds as it was able to do when it was released, and as it is still able to in mine tonight. And there's a lot to do in the shitty state of mind I'm in. Enjoy it here (hoping that it'll not be removed too fast by our vigilant PPP ( protectors of private property)). It's in flac for a better sound quality. I won't put it in this format everytime but for singles I'll sometimes try. Below an interesting document from the Melody Maker, one MM file about Slim Chance published between the single and the album. PS. Since the single had no cover sleeve, I did one with the superb picture from the Anymore For Anymore LP from which both sides of the singles were taken. 










6 comments:

dresden black said...

Thanks lad, these are a delight!

Anonymous said...

I love this song. Is there an iTunes download available for it?

Anonymous said...

I never warmed to The Poacher, but Bye and Bye (I'm Going to See the King) is in heavy rotation on my iPod.

Let Clapton and Page have British Blues -- Ronnie Lane was British Bluegrass!

Jonny Butler said...

This song is pure gold in my opinion. Also really like the version performed by Paul Weller on Disc 1 (track 10 I think) of the BBC Sessions - listen for the amazing vocals of Stevie Craddock cutting in with "Yesterdays Old Timer.." His warbling voice really brings something to this classic. Have a listen - you wont regret it.

familyjules said...

I'm English. We never call it a "French clarinet". Actually, I think it sounds more like an oboe. Great song though. And a majestic arrangement.

Jules

dkelvin said...

You're right it's an oboe but you're wrong, as wikipedia says "The word clarinet may have entered the English language via the French clarinette"
dk