6/27/12

Luigi Cherubini - Requiem en Do mineur / Requiem in C minor (1816) by the Corydon Orchestra conducted by Matthew Best (1995)





















You may wonder why I post classical music. First I would like to answer that it's not the 1st time I do, you'll find Schnittke requiem here and Mahler's songs there. Moreover, if this requiem is not really a collection of songs, it's not far from being it with the usual decomposition of requiem in chants. Moreover, sure is that Cherubini (born Italian but who did most of his career in France and died here) is a rather forgotten composer, strange since he was considered by Beethoven as the greatest composer of his times (and found this requiem better than Mozart's one), and cherished by Schumann. Being one of the teachers of Berlioz, the latter always was very apologetic about his elderly. I always loved this requiem. Composed when he was 56 and a really notorious and respected composer, there is a strange strenght in it, something of a real spirituality mixed with a true anguish raising from the constant alternance between calm and tormented phases. And more than everything, the last 2 minutes of the "Agnus Dei" (the last "song" of the requiem and that I put in streaming below) is one of the most soul-elevating moment of entire classical music (I don't know everything of course, but I've listened to quite a lot). It's not far from drone as we know it today finally. Suspended between music and silence, it's an agony sonor background I will try when my turn will come. Note that the first track is a Funeral March not belonging to the requiem but I respected the tracklist order of this album. I didn't listen to enough versions of this requiem to give an appreciation of the way Matthew Best conducts the Corydon orchestra and singers (and their own talent) but this version has been the fist I listened to and remained my fave until today. Enjoy it here. Below a portrait of Cherubini by his friend Ingres (strangely one of my favorite painter too, although Gustave Moreau, whose painting has been used for the cover sleeve, official one, remains my all-time favorite and fits well with this requiem).





























No comments: