8/7/14

Elvis Costello - Live Salle Victoire Montpellier (1984)






















Requested yesterday by a visitor, re-up today. Since I will take some days off soon, I can't promise I'll be in situation to answer so quickly but don't hesitate to ask for a re-up. The good thing (that rs deleted my files and that I re-up on M) is that it gave me the oportunity to remix the tape (with Mp3DoctorPro2) and in the case of this totally unissued live capture, you'll hear the sound has been much improved. So get it here.

Almost a month I didn't post anything, and I don't really come back but post a live recording made by my blogther Rough Mix in 1984. If you're Costello addicts, you'll be infinitely happy to listen to this live set in a rather better quality than the bootleg of it you can find on the net (for example here). Rough is currently transforming stuff from tapes to MP3 and I promise some unusual things later on. Meanwhile, I let the keyboard to my ole time friend. dk

This time, a rather particular recording... This Elvis Costello's show and his Attractions, which I attended myself, was recorded with a K7 device on February 1984 in Montpellier (France),and the result is more than adequate in my opinion. In this debut of year 1984 Costello began an European tour and decided to grind some new songs from a forthcoming album. Recently arrived in this provincial town which musical history is more anchored around Mediterrannean latin culture than in smoked pubs along banks of the Thames,this was one of the best concert I've seen here, an oasis in this desert music programming. Since the beginning of the 80s, Elvis Costello was digging in his musical Jazz and Pop roots ,such as in Imperial Bedroom, to improve his repertoire. Trust and Almost blue had been bitter failures for him and his faithful pal Steve Nieve .The memory of this event persisted again few months later ,when I bought in June, his new album Goodbye Cruel World. Because what surprised me was when I discovered the picture on the sleeve (see below), showing two trees on a small mound, with Costello's gang perched on it. These trees are famous here, they are called the Saint Aunes twin cypress, which can be seen along the A9 motorway, few miles before Montpellier city, as well as on the first images of the Agnes Varda's film Sans toi, ni loi. It should be noted that the concert took place at the Victory Hall and not at the Palais des Sports (which does not exist elsewhere). The setlist can be found here. Rough Mix

8 comments:

The Reverend Wizard of Alchemical Despair said...

Master DK, I apologize for the off topic post but I have a submission for you, and was wondering if I could get it to you in some way if you'd be so kind...

dkelvin said...

No problem, my mail is didierkelvin@gmail.com
dk

defluo said...

Hi there, any chance a RE-up of this unusual Costello rarity?
I just found this site and will be exploring it with pleasure! 

dkelvin said...

Yes, tonight I try
dk

defluo said...

thanks a LOT!

defluo said...

a wonderful background story.. und WooHooo!
You Rock -- thanks again!

Vonnoosh said...

Any chance you could re-up this show? M says the file is no longer available. I never heard Costello perform Goodbye Cruel World material live before.Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Hello,
Any chance of a re-up on this Costello show?
Thanks in advance.