10/26/14

Jack Bruce Band - How's Tricks (1977)





















Re-up too here of this album to for Jack Bruce's death.

Of course, nothing Jack Bruce recorded after Out of the Storm would reach the peaks of his 3 first solo LPs (minus the jazz rock one with McLaughlin) but it would be too easy to forget that he composed and played great songs too afterwards. I posted the 1978 refused album Jet Set Jewel here, its predecessor was released, with the same band, and even if there are some weak moments, there are also enough good to great songs to make it a "not to be forgotten" album. The sound is not too much polluted by the production climate of the year 1976 (the album was recorded in the autumn of 1976, one of the worst period in music history, punk was only burgeoning). Songs were mostly written by Jack Bruce for the music and Pete Brown for the lyrics, a long enduring partnership that guaranteed a sort of continuity for a musician changing styles sometimes too often. Of course, this album is not hard to find so I'm not totally authorized to post it but these songs are forgotten, even by those who know Bruce career (not fans of course). So I think it was a good idea to offer it for memories. PS. I posted the CD version with 2 bonus tracks. The booklet is in the rar file. Don't remember where I caught this album. Not my rip (only 192 kb).








9 comments:

Margherita Devalle e Marta Falcon said...

good blog. i follow u!

dkelvin said...

Thx. Maybe (surely) it's only for making some promo for yours but no matter I appreciate nice comments
dk

Feilimid O'Broin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Feilimid O'Broin said...

I've just discovered your blog this evening and greatly appreciate the tribute to the genius of Jack Bruce. Frankly, I feel like I've wandered into the back room of a record store and discovered all of the owner's best private collection. Perhaps ironically so many of these songs are not forgotten by me. I still remember when I and all of my friends listened devotedly to Melanie after her appearance at Woodstock or were in awe of Cream. Throw in my favorite blues singer John Lee Hooker and Jack Bruce and I'm miles away in memories and recollections of when I first heard their music. Thank you for creating such a wonderful blog for, among others, us wistful ones. My only regret is that I discovered you after so many of the Rapidshare links expired.

I know it's presumptuous given that it's my first visit but would you re-up the Jack Bruce band live at Manchester recording. Thanks for the effort and time expended to keep this music alive.

Feilimid O'Broin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
dkelvin said...

I'll re-up the other Jack Bruce stuff. Some months ago I was feeling to give up this blog after rs deleted my account but I re-up on M and I think I'll do the work for most of the blog during the further months. Except if I'm gone and dead (copyright Melanie).
Thx for your appreciation
Yes, this "prove you're not a robot" step is a pain in the ass.
dk

Feilimid O'Broin said...

Thanks so much. By the way, like you, the first rock band I bought was Creedence Clearwater. I still think Fogerty is an amazing lyricist and no song encapsulates the anger about and class prejudices that determined who would serve in the Vietnam war better than "Fortunate Son." While my friends were all entranced by British rock, my man as of 1968 was Fogerty. They thought I was crazy but over time came to the same conclusion about his seminal influence in combining swamp rock, country, gospel, blues, and rock into a unique mix. The opening chords of "Born On The Bayou" still send chills up my spine and Creedence's final group album "Pendulum" was much better than was acknowledged by the critics at the time. (I don't count 'Mardi Gras' as a group album because it so acutely reflected the break up then in progress.) Amazingly Fogerty has still retained much of his chops and sounds fresh today.

What I enjoy most is your eclectic taste which includes greats like Billie Holiday. Proving I'm not a robot is a minor impediment given the music you provide.

As for Rapidshare, I let my subscription expire when it raised its rates to a price beyond my price range. May it soon disappear from the world of cloud services!

dkelvin said...

Nice to read your comment. Very interesting. Sometimes common musical experience by people long distance apart. You probably added this comment after seeing my post about CCR Epics. I'd like to post more from them in the future but I've no much rare material.
I tried to re-up the Jack Bruce Band's Manchester 75 set yesterday but my connexion is so slow in my new home that I need to have quite a serious time with me to add it to M. At the end of the week probably.
And like you, I hope rs will drown in oblivion very soon. Their inflated rate killed my hundreds of uploads and I hate them for that. I would have preferred they delete them rather than force me to sink myself.
dk

John Hilton said...

Lovely to hear Jack's voice on these recordings. He seemed to occupy his own musical niche, and that's always going to mean that these recordings get slightly lost. So thank you.