8/8/14

Television Personalities - A Decade Of Singles & EPs (1989-99)





















I take some days off tomorrow and before I go, it would be a shame I don't re-up any TVP album or single. I chose this one among the 27 (!!!) I posted, first because I think it's the better compilation you'll ever hear in your life, second because you won't find anywhere else all the A and B-sides of the singles and EPs released by the band between 1989 and 1999, and last because it's, among all the fake cover sleeves I did for this blog, my favorite. So, what can I say except you would do harm to yourself not to listen to such a collection of gems. Hope Dan Treacy's health, mental and physical, is not too bad by now. He's such a seminal artist. Enjoy it here. And thanks again to M to be so helpful and easy to use.

This is surely the best Xmas present I could offer to my visitors. A compilation of all the singles and EPs (I only removed the covers released because they seem quite irrevelant here) released on various labels by Dan Treacy under Television Personalities name, mostly a duo with Jowe Head during this period. Of course I posted all these singles and EPs separately over this year, but I know many of you will appreciate to have them all gathered in chronological order. The individual posts will be there for hard-on fans (like me) who love to have the songs in their original release context (moreover with the cover sleeve). Talking about the cover sleeve, I must say I'm very proud of the one I did for this compilation. Based on a picture from this great and important American photographer called Lewis Hine, who did so much for the child's work to be forbidden in the USA, I can't imagine a more fitting wrapping for these songs that seem to be written by a child's mind-in-man's body with an incredible ability to express intimate suffering and lost feeling. With Morrissey (but Morrissey is totally adult and childhood seems to have deserted him), I think Dan Treacy provided one of the most moving lyrical universe in rock music. This 41 song collection shows how public and critics have been blinded during the 90's, omitting to treat  this genius how he would have deserved it, letting him progressively drown in dope and despair. So, I dedicate these last days of the year to him, who gave me so much work on this blog, but also so much emotions. I don't post any streaming, all the songs can be heard on the individual posts.






12 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is wonderful, thank you so much. It'd be great to hear a compilation of singles from 1999 onwards too!

dkelvin said...

Maybe I'll do it but there's not so much since he came back to music in 2006 so it would be a rather short one.
dk

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately both links are void, something happened?

dkelvin said...

No, it actually works (I tested it). Try again. THere must be a problem with your access. dk

Anonymous said...

Incredible!!
Thanks for share all these TVPs stuff. I'm Fan.

Greetings from mexico city.

Anonymous said...

İnternette takılmak varken siz hâlâ sınalgı mı izliyorsunuz?

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for this blog! Appreciate especially discovering some absolute wonderful songs from the later career of two of my favorite singers/bands of my younger days, Melanie and especially Television Personalities. Now just want to congratulate you for this cover. Great! From the artistic perspective and so matching with this period of Dan Tracie. Nobody could have done this one better really! Hope to soon discover the Closer To God CD somewhere on the web as can't order it here in the tropical mountains I live since 20 years.

dkelvin said...

It's for comments like this and people like you I'm going on with this blog even when sometimes courage and envy are lacking. I could post Closer to God (quite a masterpiece) but I don't know if Dan Treacy still gets some money from it when people buy it regularly and I wouldn't want to despoil him. That's why I prefer not to as would say Bartleby. The same for some Melanie late records . But I understand that where you are, it's not possible to get them.
Thx for the comment anyways
dk

Anonymous said...

Happy to have made your day! I am deeply in gratitude to you for having given me a CD rip of my all-time favorite Melanie album Stoneground Words (had before only a terrible vinyl rip) and for some Dan Treacy songs, especially Far Away And Lost In Joy is so incredible beautiful. The last song the instrumental I Get Frightened is for me one of the most beautiful songs ever. C'est simplement sublime! You not wanting to post 'regular' albums is a good decision, otherwise this blog would be not existing anymore. But maybe it is possible to post it on things like Piratebay? There are many people like me for who would not be able to buy albums like Crazy Love and Close to God, so the artists do not really 'loose money' and some of us have been supporting them a lot during their youth (as me).

Scraps said...

Thank you so much for this!

dkelvin said...

I appreciate you took the time to leave a comment
dk

Scraps said...

You took the time to make it (apart from TP making it originally, of course).

cheers,
Scraps