7/29/14

JFG and friends - Golden Oldies (2002-2010)





















Tonight, the second re-up. A compilation of covers by the great jfg. Don't miss this gem (here) there's full of aural treasures in it. Could have been a joke, it's a winner. After a one year staying in Berlin, he's back in France and in music action. Buy his stuff on bandcamp (here), there's not a filler in it. Text of the first post below.

If you're a regular visitor of FS, you know how I dig JFG, one of the rare singer-songwriter of the last decade to make me feel the way I felt about Dan Treacy, Mark Perry, Peter Perrett or Nikki Sudden in the 80's. Unfortunately, he (hitherto) did not meet any moment of glory and sure living in France did not help. Now he's relocated in Berlin and he just opened a record store called Foxhole (weserstrasse 179 Neukölln, see picture below) and I hope he'll find in this town a better place to live than in this rotting country. Kevin Coyne and Nikki Sudden did, no reason jfg doesn't. Here is a compilation of covers he did in the first decade of the century with various line-ups. He always succeeds in making others songs his. A treasure in which everyone can grab sound pearls. Good luck to him for the future. His bandcamp page here (his last EP is a masterpiece). Previous posts there. Below, in streaming, a personal subjective selection covering the various styles of the LP.




5 comments:

Andy T said...

Many thanks for this and the many others classics you unearth. Unfortunately the rar file seems corrupt. I've downloaded twice and it blobs out at the same place - something stupid. A re-upload would be much appreciated.Cheers, Andy T.

dkelvin said...

It's true.I've fixed it. I must say I changed my internet provider (I was with numericable, I am with Bouygues) and my connexion speed has slowed down a lot, particularly for uploading with interruption in the flow. So it'll be surely more and more fastidious to upload things here. I had to change for money but I think I'll go back to numericable as soon as I'm no more engaged with Bouygues (in November)

uponuall said...

I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this post. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. In fact your creative writing abilities has inspired me to start my own blog now.
bao ve 24h

Rochacrimson said...

Thank you for this gem but all Melanie Safka's last posts were deleted :( please a re-up!
Thanks

dkelvin said...

I'll do it "petit à petit" cos it's rather time consuming and I got many other things to do. But sure I'll do it soon. And I'll post great very rare stuff from Melanie too.
dk