2/4/17

Black Sabbath - Live in Asbury Park (1975)




















It was impossible for me tonight not to post any Black Sabbath material since they play while I'm writing these words their last concert ever, in their native town of Birmingham, and I should have been there but I failed to find any ticket or more exactly to decide myself to spend so much money to go there and back. I think I was quite pusillanimous but that's too late for regrets. So here's a rare testimony of the band live in their heyday (although they are still good on stage but they don't compose classics anymore). I'll re-up the California Jam but I would like to find a source with the correct speed, the ones I found are usually fasten. And I'll post their Peel Sessions too. Meanwhile catch it here. And thanks to Ozzy, Tony, Geezer and the unfortunately absent Bill for having brought one of the most crucial music style in the history, being surely more influential than any other rock band or musician.

The release of a real new Black Sabbath is for all the poor fools like me a kind of major event, and that it's a fine, sometimes great piece of music, is a sort of miracle. A revenge for the insults and mockeries I endured when I was a 13-y (yes 13) kid discovering a band that would totally rearrange my vision of music (and some of some thousands of musicians and bands, notably the Melvins of course). BS was missing in this blog and it's time to feed it with some of their stuff. Actually, I'm not rich in rarities so I'll keep to some live recordings, the first being this one captured at Asbury Park (New Jersey) during the US arm of their Sabotage tour on the 5th of August 1975, and with a sound wuality not far from an official live. The band is in no way the pale version of his recent past some said it was. It's even closer to punk than to the WHOBHM (listen to the 12 min of instrumental that conclude "Sabracadabra" and tell me if it has anything to do with heavy metal in its most mainstream acception, and the link between "Orchid" and "Rock 'n' Roll Doctor" is pure Melvins). And it's mainly close to what'll become grunge, noise, thrash, sludge, stoner and of course doom, all movements that were strongly influenced by the masters of Birmingham. The version of "Black Sabbath" the song, is particularly impressive, much better it even was at their beginnings. It's today quite difficult to understand that so few of the press critics realized the importance of this band. It's strange too that between 1977 and 1987, I lost touch with this music (although I never sold a BS album in my life) because I felt this music was no more relevant. Thanx to the Melvins to have brought them back in my universe. So here is an exceptional testimony of the grandeur that could produce these 4 british guys on stage. Sabotage was of course largely played but there are also many tracks from previous albums. I chose the cover sleeve (with a work by Hans Baldung Grien, 1485-1545) I like the most among the various bootlegs released with this recording. I could have done one myself as I often do but I think this one fits perfectly. So, between 2 listenings to 13, a little bit of nostalgia. Below the complete show as posted on youtube.




10 comments:

kingpossum said...

A Sabbath must-have boot. I saw them on their 2013 tour, and nostalgia was not on the menu. They like they had everything to prove and made it quite clear that nobody was going to take their crown as the reigning kings of heavy. Great call on this one.

Hamster said...

On Saturday night even my local radio station, normally staid & conservative, played a Sabbath track to mark The End of an era - a live "Paranoid" replete with Ozzy's trademark swearing - which it appears they faded out quicker than planned when the expletives hit the fan. Happy days! Thanks for the boot.

ken49 said...

Any chance of re-upping Shocking Blue comp of their singles. Really enjoyed listening.

dkelvin said...

A little bit of patience. I'm far from my basis for the moment but next week i'll finish the Shocking Blue re-up
dk

Anonymous said...

Oh yes!

Cheers Marlon

Anonymous said...

goooood, after all these shocking Shocking Blue songs, finally some music again.....almost started not to follow your blog anymore. Respect tastes of course but Shocking Blue is sooo weak....

Didier said...

Sorry but there'll be more Shocking Blue to come

ken49 said...

Sounds good, I will be patient and enjoy Man, Saints and Shocking Blue

Rochacrimson said...

Black Sabbath and MAN...brilliant!
Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot. Great recording capturing Sabbath clearly on top of their game. I did catch them this past summer and was very impressed. Although it would have 5 stars had they had Bill Ward behind the kit. Life is way too short to bicker over such BS. Keep up the great posts on this outstanding bog. - G.