9/16/14

Adam and the Ants - The Decca Demos (August 1978)

A re-up of these Decca demo session recorded in August 1978. Requested by a visitor recently. Catch it again here. Hope I'll be able to see Adam live soon (missed him last spring in London). I'll post someday the next Decca session from December 1978).

One of the great news of last year was the Adam Ant come back, with a great album and, more strangely, a great look (and a good band to back him). If there was one of my ancient heros I didn't expect anything more, it was surely Adam Ant. But here he is and it's really a nice feeling to know he's with us again. So, these late days, I'm listening to his old stuff again, first because although I liked the Pirate period, it's rather certain than his beginnings with the Ants were artistically more interesting, and moreover because he has the great idea to play the Dirk Wears White Socks album in his coming tour and it's a manner to associates this blog to this event. Not that I post the official LP (this is not the philosophy of this blog) but I gathered from various sources the demos the band recorded in August 1978 for Decca (and not in December, that I will try to gather for another post), more than one year prior to the release of Dirk. During these sessions, the line-up consisted of Matthew Ashman on guitar and  Dave Barbe on drums, who would leave to form Bow Wow Wow after the Dirk LP, and Andy Warren on bass who would leave for The Monochrome Set. The music played here is rather rough and edgy, influenced actually more by some progressive bands of the seventies (with a touch of Krautrock and a Velvet Underground flavor) than by straight post-Stooges punk, but what's surprising is how this music has aged well and has been a source of inspiration for so many bands in the late 90's and early 00's (nice number for a decade). However, I've tried to rectify the sound the best I could, using the best sources for each song, but of course maybe there are better and it's still not equivalent to the sound of an official LP. But believe me, you will listen to that quite often once you played it the first time. It's rather addictive. I think the cover sleeve would have done a nice one for an official release. I don't remember where I found the picture but I immediately thought it was relevant to the content.




9 comments:

barbelith said...

absolutely brilliant. thank you

andy s said...

This looks awesome. Does your link still work? Or is rapidshare weirder than I remember and I'm missing something?

dkelvin said...

rs deleted all my files and removed my account since I don't want to pay their new fares totally surreal. So I switched to M (I don't write the names since I'm sure they got some hunting tools that detect these providers names to catch the "pirates") and re-up one after one according to requests. Since you requested this fantastic sessions from Adam, I'll re-up it tonight.
dk

andy s said...

Thanks! Looking forward to it.

andy s said...

Got it! Thanks again. Just finished my first listen and it's really good. Love the guitar tone, volume and on the edge performances.

Kitty Capper said...

Could you please reup this one thanks

dkelvin said...

Link is already working.
dk

L. said...

Thanks!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Any chance of re-uploading in 2017, please?